How much for a used 5 speed?

• Sponsors (?)

jusinbailey said:
just looking to find out how much a 5 speed would cost that would fit in my 65 mustang. what year mustangs will fit? I assume the 5 speed from the 80's will work?

I have attached a .txt/.html document that provides identification numbers for T-5s. Download the file and change the extension to .html to view in your browser.

I have colorized and prioritized for my purposes. Original data can be found at Ford Muscle.

Cost depends on several factors...
  1. Mileage
  2. Type (based on Borg Warner ID)
  3. What is included (bell housing, shifter, pressure plate, etc.)

For the tranny only, expect to pay between $200 - $700 for a used one. Check the Corral and Stangnet message boards in their classified sections for drivetrain parts.

Here is a quick listing of all the parts you will need for the swap. Of course there are variations but this is the list I worked from. I was able to get everything for ~$1,600. I indicated price and location where I sourced these parts from.

Bell Housing - $75 - Private Seller (Corral)
Block Plate - $35 - Private Seller (Corral)
Clutch Fork - $10 - Private Seller (Corral)
Billet Flywheel - $150 - Private Seller (Corral)
Transmission (Motorsport M-7003-Z) - $800 - Private Seller (Stangnet)
Aluminum Driveshaft - $100 - Private Seller (Stangnet)
Pro 5.0 Shifter - $100 - Private Seller (Stangnet)
Roller Pilot Bearing - $0 - came with tranny
Ram 900 Clutch & Pressure Plate - $100 - Private Seller (Stangnet)
Mounting Bracket - $65 - Ebay
Cable Clutch - $187 - Mustang Steve
Pedals - $125 - Ebay (completely rebuilt, painted, new pads, etc.)

Hope this helps...

Attachments

• T5-ID.txt
    47.6 KB · Views: 114
66P51GT said:
I have attached a .txt/.html document that provides identification numbers for T-5s. Download the file and change the extension to .html to view in your browser.

I have colorized and prioritized for my purposes. Original data can be found at Ford Muscle.

Cost depends on several factors...
  1. Mileage
  2. Type (based on Borg Warner ID)
  3. What is included (bell housing, shifter, pressure plate, etc.)

For the tranny only, expect to pay between $200 - $700 for a used one. Check the Corral and Stangnet message boards in their classified sections for drivetrain parts.

Here is a quick listing of all the parts you will need for the swap. Of course there are variations but this is the list I worked from. I was able to get everything for ~$1,600. I indicated price and location where I sourced these parts from.

Bell Housing - $75 - Private Seller (Corral)
Block Plate - $35 - Private Seller (Corral)
Clutch Fork - $10 - Private Seller (Corral)
Billet Flywheel - $150 - Private Seller (Corral)
Transmission (Motorsport M-7003-Z) - $800 - Private Seller (Stangnet)
Aluminum Driveshaft - $100 - Private Seller (Stangnet)
Pro 5.0 Shifter - $100 - Private Seller (Stangnet)
Roller Pilot Bearing - $0 - came with tranny
Ram 900 Clutch & Pressure Plate - $100 - Private Seller (Stangnet)
Mounting Bracket - $65 - Ebay
Cable Clutch - $187 - Mustang Steve
Pedals - $125 - Ebay (completely rebuilt, painted, new pads, etc.)

Hope this helps...

if you could do it all over again, would you have gone with a new tremec 5 speed? they arent too much more, are they?

jusinbailey said:
if you could do it all over again, would you have gone with a new tremec 5 speed? they arent too much more, are they?
Don't have a definitive answer yet since all the parts are sitting in the garage and not installed. But right now I'd say no. The Z tranny I picked up had less than 10k documented miles on it. The new Motorsport Z tranny is $1100 from Summit without shipping. I got the Tranny, Driveshaft, Clutch, Pressure Plate, and Shifter for $1,100 shipped to my door.

Adding up the cost of just these items NEW, would have easily put me over the entire cost of doing the complete T-5 swap.

If you read Part I and Part II below in my signature, you'll see where I'm coming from. Right now I have $2,400 left from a $10k budget for paint and body work. This is $1,400 more than what I initially started with.

-Chuck

Be sure to get the 91-93 T5 and make sure it is from a V8 car.

I traded a working C4 and $200 for my T5, came with late model bellhousing, clutch fork, cable, shifter, fresh clutch/pressure plate, and flywheel. I then spent $150(I think) for the crossmember, $35 for manual pedal assembly, $40 for BBK firewall adjuster, $35 to get the driveshaft shortened 3/4 inch. Including all odds and ends, $500 total plus the value of a used C4, which I figure was about $150.

302 coupe said:
Be sure to get the 91-93 T5 and make sure it is from a V8 car.
Yup. Use the attached spreadsheet above.

I traded a working C4 and $200 for my T5, came with late model bellhousing, clutch fork, cable, shifter, fresh clutch/pressure plate, and flywheel. I then spent $150(I think) for the crossmember, $35 for manual pedal assembly, $40 for BBK firewall adjuster, $35 to get the driveshaft shortened 3/4 inch. Including all odds and ends, $500 total plus the value of a used C4, which I figure was about $150.
You got a really good deal! Typical swap meet prices for Bell Housings and Flywheels are $75 each.

I paid 540$ for a rebuilt T5 with 0 miles on the rebuild, the bellhousing, and clutch fork.
130 for my crossmember
5$ for the yoke of a late model (junkyard)
30$ for the block plate from Ford dealership

you can do the whole swap with a rebuilt t-5 for under 1k easily if you are an ebay shoper. Ive seen rebult t-5s go for as little as $450, cable clutch conversion will cost you about $150 if you want a kit from mustang steve, the bell will be around $50, drive shaft shortening around $50, clutch pedal for around $100, cross member $75, shipping no more then $175 for everything.

i paid 350 shipped for just the trans. 91 mustang 5.0 tag number. supposedly it has new syncros and 2nd and 3rd gears, and new shift rails, and 100k on the clock. also has a steel bearing retainer installed.

i got a t5 bell and stock shifter for free. 40 bucks for the clutch pivot thingy to use the zbar linkage, and hopefully under 20 bucks to make the crossmember.

hopefully it will all be in good working order when i get it in later this month.