How much is the stock intake holding me back?

• Sponsors (?)

well i know when i changed the intake on my 5.0 and put an edelbrochy performer rpm intake on it it made a hella difference. I was reaching Rpm's way quicker and able to squeeze 500 extra rpm's out of each gear than i could with the stock intake. by the way how do you like ur f303 cam? im deciding on getting one....does it have good low end - midrange power? hows the idle? I would go with the edelbrock rpm performer...it is pretty much the best for the $$ it costs. trick flow makes a nice intake too.

On the F303- I like it, it makes the car sound like its got something in it. People stare when you pull in a gas station (although that might be because my car looks like a beater, lol). It has about the same power on the bottom as the stock engine but it starts pulling harder around 2500 or so. I guess I really need an intake to take full advantage of my combo.

I was just thinking again though, for the cost of a fuel injection intake, I could probably put a holley 600 on the car and have the easy tuning and cleaner engine bay. I dont know what to do. Its only a matter of time before they start doing emissions testing everywhere.

What kind of times are you running on that explorer engine combo? Hp? I'm just finishing mine.

I'm assuming you're running the stock explorer intake. If you are, with your combo, it should suit it just fine, as it flows nearly identical to the gt40 intake. If you're running a stock HO mustang intake, then, well, it's time to upgrade!!

you dont need injectors and wont ne time soon . I would buy a adjustable fuel regulator. See sig i never upgraded my injectors to the 36s i had because i was still running rich.
a carb is better tunning and will give ya some more hp in a na combo but it will cost the same as buying new injectors i think good luck

Racerjoey1 said:
The title pretty much covers it, all the mods are in my sig. Will it be more of a gain than with a stock engine?

Thanks,
Joey
your setup is like mine but cammed......you definelty need an intake. Do you have the explorer lower intake that came with that shortblock and heads?

Sorry it took so long to respond. I guess I need to explain what I have better. I am using the Explorer block, crank, and rods. I have the speed pro pistons but other than that it is a stock short block. The heads are GT40P obviously but I am using the stock Mustang HO intake manifold. The car feels pretty strong, but I think it has more in it.

Maybe you guys can help me decide if the car is making decent power. I am assuming I have stock gears, it runs about 2100rpm or so at 70mph in 5th. I have crappy tires on it that came with the car so I dont know how good this info is. 1st gear is absolutley useless. I can let the clutch out and be idling along and stab it and it will shoot up the to redline very quickly. I can spin the tires at will at any rpm in 1st gear. I can't spin them at all in 2nd gear unless I am already spinning in 1st and then hit 2nd but even then it will spin for a second and then grab and start going.

To answer another question I have not taken the car to the track yet. I don't have insurance on it because I want to get some more stuff done on it before I drive it. It needs rear shocks terribly, I need to get my x-pipe on, I need mufflers because I don't have any on it right now. I need wheels and tires (youd know why if you saw the rims the ******* before me put on the car).

Ill quit rambling on, sorry for the long post.

Later,
Joey

Yes you need an intake, and yes it will help tons.

No insult intented, but you need to either get a job for this car, or be able to divert money to it. Before you get an intake, you need the basics addressed, and that means car insurance (if you drive it on the road even ONCE) and shocks/struts) If you're on a tight budget, follow tmoss's guide and port your own lower.

I work full time and go to school so a 2nd job isnt really possible. The car gets driven mainly through the neighborhood to keep the battery charged. I have a truck to drive every day. Im not ordering the intake right away. I just wanted to know how much it would help me.

I think the order I will do things is this-

Quiet the thing down, shocks, wheels and tires, insurance, paint

The way I see it there is no point in getting insurance and wasting money while the car sits in the garage. Then that takes away money for mods.