Roush How Much is this Car Worth?

whosdady

Dec 6, 2004
Well it looks like there is a 95% chance that this promotion will be taking place. The only real question is when. I was told to plan within the next 2 months or sooner. The only firm details include frequent traveling to and from the east and west coast. I will probably start to post this car in the for sale section within the next couple weeks but I want to see what the value is first.

I guess there are really two questions here? 1) How much is this car worth and 2) How much should I expect to get for it? I know on Ebay 01 281SC's aren't selling for much. Maybe $18K-$24K depending on condition and miles. Then add in the black color, low miles, like new condition, saleen options and aftermarket options and it should raise it a little. I was thinking of asking $33K but I may be way off here.

Here is a breakdown of the car and roughly what I have spent on it since November:

2001 Saleen 281 SC Coupe, numbered 01-686, 5spd, 20K miles, black with dark charcoal interior. Saleen factory additional options listed on the window sticker include: 13 inch brakes, Chrome wheels, 10 inch rear wheels and logo floor mats. MSRP including covered transport ($43,290.00).

Saleen dealer additions include:

- New 04 Rocker panels ($480)
- New 04 Saleen/Momo shift knob ($65)
- New 04 Saleen front leather sport seats, charcoal w/ light grey inserts ($2,000 installed)
- New 04 Saleen color matched door accessory inserts ($125)
- New 04 Saleen carpet door inserts ($150 installed)
- New 04 Saleen IC water pump ($270 installed)
- New 04 Saleen 281 side markers ($50)
- New 04 Saleen heat exchanger hood ($1450)
- New Saleen key chain ($30)
- Saleen car cover ($180)
- Saleen stainless steel rear bumper logo ($50)
- Saleen rear deck lid badge, replaces Ford badge ($50)
- Saleen Extreme inlet tube kit ($750)
- Saleen S4 IC ($500)
- New Saleen screens for the exterior body pieces ($150 installed)

Other non factory/dealer modifications include:

MOTOR
- Bored .20 over ($150)
- 9 to 0 compression forged Diamond Pistons ($750)
- Manley forged rods ($700)
- Molly rings, gaskets, etc ($350)
- ARP fittings ($200)
- Forged 04 Cobra crank and 02 cobra 8 bolt flywheel ($820)
- Comp 270 blower cams and springs ($840)
- Peak Performance stage 2 head port ($500)
- Peak Performance competition valve job ($200)
- Balancing ($200)
- Installation and building ($2495)

OTHER
- 04 Cobra dual pumps and tank ($950 installed)
- Cnterforce dual friction clutch ($500 installed)
- Accufab 75 MM throttle body ($250)
- Super chip (SCT) professionally dyno tuned ($650)
- Bassani X pipe W/O cats ($400 installed)
- Eaton 66MM Polished Blower Pulley and Gates belt ($175)
- FRPP Ceramic Shorty Headers ($710 installed)
- FRPP Aluminum Driveshaft ($320 installed)
- Densecharger Cold Intake with fender filter ($195 installed)
- Ported Saleen Blower and Plenum ($595 installed)
- Ported/polished intake manifold ($850 installed)
- Hawk HPS Brake Pads ($265 installed)
- FRPP 3.73 gears ($450 installed)
- Full tint ($300)
- NGK TR6 spark plugs ($35)
- Lightning 90 MM Mass Air Meter ($250)
- FRPP 42lbs injectors ($225)

Recent Maintenance includes:

- New Redline D4 ATF Transmission Fluid ($110 including labor)
- New 265x18 and 285x18 Z rated tires ($1050)
- New headlights with clear reflectors ($220)
- New Silver Star white lights ($25)
- New front grill delete ($75)
- New trunk latch ($65)
- New trunk carpet ($65)
- New upper radiator hose ($35)
- New E Brake boot ($30)

TOTAL in aftermarket modifications $22,300
Blue Book value without saleen fact. options: $28,000 (Saleen options $3,370)
Grand total: $50,300 without saleen factory options

The stock parts would come with the car with the exception of the old front seats. The car will be tuned and dynoed tomorrow. We are hoping to see 420rwhp-450rwhp... 250 miles since the engine was built :)

• Sponsors (?)

One almost NEVER gets money out of the mods they do to a Mustang, and even rarer do they get it out of a moded Saleen.

Offer average book for the car, then go from there.

Well, I just got back from the dyno and I am dissapointed to say the least. It made 401rwhp/375rwtq.

On the bright side it was the hottest day of the year (102 degrees) and I do have an exhaust leak. Hopefully the numbers will go up.

I agree about something being off. I'm sure it is a little issue that is causing the problem. IE exhaust leak/iac/inlet leak or all. The car is wants to die with the ac on so I know somthing is off and the car hesistates when I punch it...When these issues are fixed I will redyno. I still think I am closer to 425+rwhp.

How many pounds of boost to get your 401/375? A small exhaust leak wont throw you off too much.

When you get on it and leave it in gear and then get off the throttle and you let it compression brake down from lets say around 5800 rpm do you get any backfire?

9 psi of boost made 401/375. I am pretty sure I have a header leak, as it makes more noise when it is cold and I only hear it on one side and I have an x pipe.

I am not sure about the backfire. I will try it. I do know that I have some significant idle issues. I turn on the ac and the car dies. I think I may be low on ac as the air is feeling warmer than normal. I guess with less freon there could be a greater load. I think when the motor was pulled the ac wasn't topped off.

The thing that really gets me is this hesitation. I really wish I could find out what that is.

Marcus, I am pretty anal with this car so I only took it to 4.8K rpms and noticed some minor backfiring while comp breaking down.

I spoke with my mechanic and he said it had nothing to do with the ac and that he didn't touch it. He thinks it has something to do with the iac (idle issue)and potentially the fat tune that sct reccomends down low gives the hesitation.

One other thing I noticed is that this car pulls less down low. I used to be able to start in 2nd gear from a stop and it felt strong starting in second. Now is lags.

The car is going back in on Tuesday. I think the car will need to have the leaks fixed, iac checked and get leaned out down low...

Well, I feel a little better...

We just got the car on the lift and noticed the front 02 sensors were really loose and making noise. We also noticed that 3 of the 4 bolts that hold the intake to the maf were missing. We also pulled the plugs and noticed they were really rich. The car is ildling much better and there is no exhaust noise anymore. We are going to try retuning it again and do 21 degrees of timing instead of 19 and try to lean it out a bit. My tuner said 420rwhp shouldn't be a problem assuming there is no sign of detonation.

I did speak with Mark at PAS about the value of this car and he felt that $29K was more than a fair price with these mods and miles. I'm thinking of putting it on his website and also on Ebay for $30K or OBO.

Any thoughts?

Head Paneer said:
Glad to hear your car is doing better. Why spend more money on tuning though if you are planning to sell the car?

I was offered a promotion at work where I may not be able to keep the car. That is the only reason why I have considered selling it. My wife and I still haven't made a decision on whether or not this promotion will be the best thing for our family.

As far as spending money on tuning, I would never sell anything that wasn't perfect, especially since it is so close. I have spent too much for it not to be :) Plus, like I mentioned above this is not a sure thing yet. However, the first person to drive this thing *with the money* will buy it...