How much power?

Built98GT

Oct 17, 2005
OKC
I own a 98 Mustang GT which is currently being built.My block is currently at the machine shop but should be back in the car and all together by next weekend.Im hoping to get 300 to 320 wheel horsepower with my mods.Let me know if this is a resonable estimate and what do you think is a possible time for the car at the track.Here are the run down of parts.

98 block bored 20over,eagle h beams, probe pistons,PI head swap,comp valve springs with comp xe270 cams,PI intake,Trick Flow plenum,FRPP 70 mm TB,BBK cold air intake,BBK underdrive pulleys,255lph fuel pump,FRPP 30lb injectors,Mac longtubes,Xpipe,race bullets,and a Diablo chip,3.73 gears also.

• Sponsors (?)

The pistons are dome pistons. I paid 420 for my eagle rods(ebay)and Im not sure how much i paid for the pistons I think they were somewhere around 700.If i would have thought of it sooner before buying the stuff i already did i would have bought one of those stroker kits.You might wanna ask around more though but that sounds like a pretty good deal on ebay.

Hopefully ill have the car back by the end of next week.I cant wait to get it on the dyno!!!

97gtblue said:
also, how much do u have in the pistons and rods, cause they had a stroker kit on ebay brand new for under 2k,which is what im looking at

let us no what kind of numbers it makes when complete, im curious,
good luck with it man:nice:

The big thing is finding somebody to assemble it, I wouldnt trust anybody around here with building a modular that is going to get beat on and I have dealt with quite a few machine shops around here.

There are some places that have a good deal on some built shortblocks and longblocks. MMR and Boss330, check em out.

Built98GT said:
I own a 98 Mustang GT which is currently being built.My block is currently at the machine shop but should be back in the car and all together by next weekend.Im hoping to get 300 to 320 wheel horsepower with my mods.Let me know if this is a resonable estimate and what do you think is a possible time for the car at the track.Here are the run down of parts.

98 block bored 20over,eagle h beams, probe pistons,PI head swap,comp valve springs with comp xe270 cams,PI intake,Trick Flow plenum,FRPP 70 mm TB,BBK cold air intake,BBK underdrive pulleys,255lph fuel pump,FRPP 30lb injectors,Mac longtubes,Xpipe,race bullets,and a Diablo chip,3.73 gears also.
I'd say you have a good shot at some reasonable power, but there are two key factors.

1. What CR are you running?
2. How agressive the tune is.

As for rwhp numbers, well they don't mean nothing in reality. A Mustang dyno will give a 'lower' number than a Dynojet, yet the car will still be producing the same amount of power.

As for the track, well deploying it is where it's at. If you can put the power to the ground it should run well.

You certainly have the 'potential' power to be high 12's maybe better. But screw the launch and you'll be disappointed with the ET.

Trap speed will give a good indication of the cars potential. An Fbody with similar rwhp will trap 105-109mph depending upon gearbox type.

What sort of ET/Trap speed have you been running?

Putting the power to the ground is going to be my biggest problem right now.The suspension is still stock and ive just got some crap tires right now.I ran the car once before this build with just minor bolt ons,exhaust, and the diablo and went 14.60's to 14.80's consistently.Im not exactly sure what my compression ratio is going to be and my tune is probably going to be pretty agressive.As for the two dyno's i didnt know that there was a difference.Thanks

Your motor is similar to the one I am haveing put togther. I am hopeing for 290 to 300 at the wheels (I have a automatic) MY PI heads have a stage 2 port job, and I have the comp278xe cams. It will be toped off with a blower next year after it has a good amount of time for break-in. Good luck:nice:

Im gonna supercharge mine to after the break in period.What kind of supercharger are you going to go with.Part of me wants to experience the nitrous world before i supercharge it though.I already have a NOS kit but am not going to install it right now.I looked at getting those 278 comp cams but didnt like the idea of the rough idle so i went with the 270's.Good luck with your car.

Built98GT said:
Im gonna supercharge mine to after the break in period.What kind of supercharger are you going to go with.Part of me wants to experience the nitrous world before i supercharge it though.I already have a NOS kit but am not going to install it right now.I looked at getting those 278 comp cams but didnt like the idea of the rough idle so i went with the 270's.Good luck with your car.
Hmmm, I am not an expert but I believe that if you plan to supercharge you should keep the compression ratio down a fair bit... Might want to look into it before you install those pistons...

Kilgore Trout said:
Hmmm, I am not an expert but I believe that if you plan to supercharge you should keep the compression ratio down a fair bit... Might want to look into it before you install those pistons...
:stupid:

Yep.

I beleive 9.1:1 works quite well for a boost car (does on a Fbody anyhow). It will be a bit of a pig without boost though.

Stock CR is 10.x:1 I think, which is only really good for 8-9psi on 91 octane.

The lower the CR the more boost you can run.

Not sure what a 03/4 Cobra runs but something close to that would be good.

If you want n/a then high 10 or 11.x:1 is the way to go, but it'll be a no no for FI.

Built98GT said:

My car is not really my daily-driver, I normally dirve it on sunny days mabye 3 or 4 times a week at the most. This is why I decided to go with the 278xe cams I wanted something a little more agressive than everyone else runs, and since I dont have to dirve it every day it wont effect the day to day driveing that I have to do. Also I want every bit of power I can get out of my 4.6, and those cams offer a good bit more than the smaller cams comp has. I thought about NOS too:rolleyes: , but I may end up swaping out my auto for a 5-speed, and I feel better haveing a auto car with NOS than a 5-speed, so I'll stick with a blower, with either trans I'll be ok. Plus the power will be there on demand, every time I need it. Pro charger or a KB will be my blower choices, with the cams I have Comp recomends a centrifugal blower so I'll probally end up with a 2 core Pro Charger with moderate boost (8-11psi):D

300bhp/ton said:
:stupid:

Yep.

I beleive 9.1:1 works quite well for a boost car (does on a Fbody anyhow). It will be a bit of a pig without boost though.

Stock CR is 10.x:1 I think, which is only really good for 8-9psi on 91 octane.

The lower the CR the more boost you can run.

Not sure what a 03/4 Cobra runs but something close to that would be good.

If you want n/a then high 10 or 11.x:1 is the way to go, but it'll be a no no for FI.

03 Cobra has 8.5:1 compression ratio:nice: