how much timing to run?

rculjak

Founding Member
Jan 29, 2001
Hey guys, I have an 04 cobra and I did the 2.8" pulley swap and installed the predator canned tune 91 oct with pulley, what a difference in seat of the pants I must say. Anyway, I hooked up my wb02 sensor and the car was in the 10's for a/f so I leaned it out and the fuel looks pretty good, I logged the timing with the predator and it shows 15-17 degrees, how much should I advance the timing to from 2000 to 7000, I am running 15psi boost and ngk tr6's gapped at 37deg, thanks.

• Sponsors (?)

A 04 Cobra with a 2.8 running the "canned" 91 octane Predator tune would not be very confidence inspiring in my book. What other performance mods does the car have right now?

If you are in fact running only 91 octane fuel leave the timing where it is! You can go as high as 23 degrees, but that's only when using higher octane fuel and after you've made sure there's no detonation occurring. I highly suggest you head to the dyno and let someone write you a custom Predator tune so you can take full advantage of the 2.8 and all the other tweaks that the Predator does not allow via direct user input. Those canned tunes are only a crutch for the real thing and they are NOT dependable enough to bet your engines life on. Most people only load the canned tune up so they can drive the car to the dyno and then get a real tune.

U.M.

When driving the car hard and shifting at redline the stock calibration will bleed off boost momentarily between shifts. This reduces power output and can make the car bog after high RPM shifts. There are ways of manually diabling the boost bypass valve, but everyone agerees that the proper way to disable it is through a custom tune.

U.M.