How much would this be worth?

94_302

Founding Member
Sep 2, 2002
Miami
I just saw an 01 cobra with about 85k on the odometer. Its missing the front emblem has some small paint chips, that where touched up poorly. It is also lowered and feels like the shocks are shot. Rear tires are bald, the tranny has the clunking but no grinding in all gears, however when slowly letting out on the clutch there is a rattling sound. Motor feels smooth and strong. Sounds like it has some weld in mufflers maybe flows, Also the trunk looks like he had some stereo equipment (ripped carpeting). How much would a car like this be worth or is it usually better to just pass on something with that many miles? How long do 4 valve mod motors usually last if taken care of?

• Sponsors (?)

How much are they asking for it? :shrug:

Anything significant in its maintenance history? Sounds like it might need a little TLC, but could make for a nice car if the price is right...

A 4V mod engine (as with any other engine) will last plenty of miles if its well cared for. You could pull the sparkplugs & take a look at them at the very least, it should give you a decent idea. Or a compression & leakdown test if you're really worried about what kind of shape the engine is in...

Well we already know that some degree of clunking is normal. The slight rattle rolling slowly off from a stop is somethign that seems to be hard to avoid too...at least for me. My first clutch did it and my current clutch does too.
The rest of what you've posted though does sound like it was really driven over its 85,000 miles. I'm sure there are better 01s out there with slightly less mileage and taken better care of.

Thanks for the response guys, the dealership was asking 13,991. I was kind of looking for a college car, so Im not looking for a gem in the first place. However I dont want a car I will have to be constantly repairing. I figured it would be pretty beat up but I just wanted to stop by and see for myself. It was white and Im guessing was ordered without the factory spoiler. Thanks again.

GoBabyVroommm said:
Pass it don't buy that garbage. I speak from experience.

Hey, to be safe and guarantee the car will last through college, a Cobra with 85K miles is probably going to need a rebuild anyway, why not start with a bunch of the good aftermarket parts before you do the rebuild. We all know the motors in these guys need a good set of pistons and rods no matter how many miles is on it, so why not just drop the $3-4K to have the short block built and know that you'll have a solid foundation for the next few years. This way, you'll have the rest of the good parts to put back on it when the rebuild is done. As long as the body and interior are in really nice shape, I'd give it serious consideration. Any N/A Cobra that makes 320 rwhp will be a blast to drive, and it's worth exploring as long as the rest of the car is what you really like..... color, interior, gears, vert or coupe ect. Looking for that jewell in a haystack is OK, but more than likely higher mileage Cobras is what you'll find and by these days, there isn't any magic to rebuilding the DOHC motor...... lots of people are good at it, so why not.

thats alot of miles on it. I would pass because you can find alot of 99-01 cobras out there with less miles and probably in better condition for around the same price.