How to 18's fit on our cars?

impulse001

Jan 16, 2008
New Jersey
So I found someone selling 4 Cobra R rims close to me.. They are 18x9 (275/35/18 and 245/40/18) I was originally looking for 17's, but if these look good I will buy them.

Do 18's fit ok? Do they rub at all?

Thanks..

• Sponsors (?)

18s can be made to fit on these cars. But many factors come into play, such as: tire width and diameter, wheel width/backspacing/offset, axle length, front end setup(spindles)...

What are you running?

The rim offset/backspacing is important to know. Without it we can not say whether it will rub. Although, with a 245/40 on the front. Don't expect to ever drop the car because that is a tall tire for the front on a 18. I'd pass and just buy 17's like you want. 17x8's all around will be the best for no rubbing.

The rim offset/backspacing is important to know. Without it we can not say whether it will rub. Although, with a 245/40 on the front. Don't expect to ever drop the car because that is a tall tire for the front on a 18. I'd pass and just buy 17's like you want. 17x8's all around will be the best for no rubbing.

I agree - 18's look a little out of place on our cars. Not that it cant be done, but 17 "usually" are the best route to take on our cars, IMO

The tires are the right size (just under 26" diameter), so it just comes down to offset/backspacing. Backspacing for a 9" wide rim on a Fox should be around 5.75"-6", assuming you have correct Fox track width (original 4-lug or 94-95 5-lug swap with the right axles).

Why do you guys think 18's look out of place on foxes I think they look pretty good. I'm still thinking of 18's out back and 17's up front since 18's up front sound like they rub on some of your cars, but in the rear they look good.

Coupe...where do yours rub?

I "think" the inner part of the rim rubs on the k member actually. I have to pull it all apart to install caster/camber plates so i'll have a good look at it then but i'm almost certain that when i'm at full turn thats where it rubs.

I don't even care though the 18's look so damn hot its worth it lol. I just don't go full turn thats all, but i can still get it 95% turned without any rubbing

I "think" the inner part of the rim rubs on the k member actually. I have to pull it all apart to install caster/camber plates so i'll have a good look at it then but i'm almost certain that when i'm at full turn thats where it rubs.

I don't even care though the 18's look so damn hot its worth it lol. I just don't go full turn thats all, but i can still get it 95% turned without any rubbing

That's what I thought. I had 17X8's on the front of my black notch and they rubbed on the K-frame on a full lock. I think it has to do with the 94-95 spindles. I didn't have any rubbing on Hack job with the same size wheel and tire and I think it was because I used the 96-04's.

Still in the air with which ones I'm running on 4VModFox. If I go 17X9 up front I need the 94-95's so they won't stick out. If I go 18X9 up front I can use either style because the 18's are available in multiple offets while 17's are not.

I will say that if you DO WANT to go 18's, it depends in the wheel. Some look ok, some look out of place. As far as my taste/style - Personally, I think a slightly lowered fox with 17's is a beautiful sight and hard to beat. Just my .02

I will say that if you DO WANT to go 18's, it depends in the wheel. Some look ok, some look out of place. As far as my taste/style - Personally, I think a slightly lowered fox with 17's is a beautiful sight and hard to beat. Just my .02

I agree, 17's on a fox is plenty of wheel and looks right at home. I love 18" Fr500's and the new Shelby Razors. I would not get an aftermarket style wheel, I would just stick with a Mustang specific "replica" wheel.

how to fit 18's on our cars =

sledge_hammer.jpg

Some 18's look great, some don't. Some 17's are absolutely awesome, some are not. For me, it depends on the wheel. If I had a coupe, most likely would be running 17" ponies...love that look. Someone said it before, replicas are a safe choice and will always deliver. I think the GT's look a lot bigger than coupes, so an 18" tends to enhance the GT. But then again, 15x10 prostars out back are just timeless and VERY appropriate...just depends