How to change spring perch bushings?

WarrenC

Jun 4, 2004
I ordered some new 1" lowering coils from NPD the other day, and while I was at it I ordered new poly spring perch bushings. I have everything apart now, and I imagine I could drive the shaft out of the spring perch if it wasn't for the two bolts which seem to want to stay in the shaft!
I tried to loosen them with a wrench, no luck. I applied some heat, tapped the wrench with a hammer, still nothing.
Figured I'd better check with someone who's done it before I end up breaking something.
I did a search and about all I came up with is the roller spring perch mod, which I'm not interested in doing right now. I already had the poly bushings ordered before I saw that.
The roller perches look like a great idea, but I have to get the car back together by next weekend for sure and I don't plan to do any road racing!
Thanks in advance for any help!

• Sponsors (?)

I would recomend them regardless of racing or stock, BUT...The bolts come out, but they need to be pressed, or persuaded by a metal and wood object weighing about 3 lbs. They woun't come out by turning them. As far as doing the bushing, good luck. It is all a very tight squeeze in there.

That's what I was afraid of. So am I better off to just leave them alone for now, or try to take them apart? If the bolts are pressed in, I can deal with that. But it sounds like they weren't designed to be taken apart.

You must take off the NUTS from the bottom FIRST. The bolts are nurled (I think thats how you spell it) and pressed in. You Can do this yourself WITHout a
Press. Like I said, take the nuts off then take out the assembly then using a deep 1/2 inch socket, tap the bolt out with a small punch, dont hit it to hard or you will damage the threads. you can also put back on the nut just enough to cover the outer threads then tap it loose then unthread the nut. If you use Neoprene bushings cut or grind some very small groves in the inner and outer casings then use 80 grit sandpaper in the bushing ruffing it up a little, then use silicone greese on the bushing and pin and this WILL stop all squeeks. I also added a grease fitting to mine just in case it needed some but in 3 years I never added greese or had a squeek. You do Know how to take the spring out correctly, right !!!. :)

Yeah, the springs are out and on the ground. Everything is all cleaned up and painted, just waiting on parts.
I think for now I'll just re-use the spring perches (which seem to be in OK shape, I can get them to deflect a little with pressure, but they don't seem worn out) and consider doing the roller upgrade later. Considering I can get brand new stock perches for about $20 a piece, it doesn't seem worth the trouble to disassemble them. I usually work 50 to 60 hrs. a week, so I don't have that much spare time!
Thanks for the replies, though!

I ordered the poly bushings for the spring perches a few years back. I was disassembling the perches when the UPS truck came. Everything was there except for the backordered poly bushings. I spend about and hour drilling the old rubber bushing out hole by hole. That old bushing isn't pressed in. I don't know the term for it but its in there. In my opinion it is not worth the time when they can be bought new for $20 each.