How to check struts/shocks for failure with stiff springs

MustangLife

Jan 5, 2003
Chattanooga, TN
I know the test on pushing down on the car at the points where the struts or shocks are. Or pulling up and releasing but I have Eibach Sportlines and the car barely damn moves when I try that.

I have 46,000 miles on my 2003 Mustang GT. Eibach Sportlines on since day one and still on stock struts or shocks.

I recently added a stereo system including sub woofer enclosure and amp so I weighed the rear end down just a tad more. So I started hearing a pop/bump sound from time to time in the rear. So I went ahead and ordered a Maximum Motorsport Pinion Snubber. Figured this could be that noise and its a cheap why not part for our cars if lowered.

But I'm not sure if that bump/pop sound from the rear is a busted shock. I just forked over a good amount of cash on 4 275/40/17 BFG KDW'2 that BFG finally came out with in that size and resurfaced rotors and 4 new brake bads and a froze caliper bracket. Fuel Filter, spark plugs and ordered a 160A Alternator because mine is lacking at idle. Removed the U/D Alternator pulley and put the stock one back on.

So as you can see I've dealt out a good amount of cash in the last 2 weeks. So Bilstein, Koni's, Tokico, Eibach is out of the question right now. But I can afford the KYB GR-2's if need be. Better than stock I know but not near as good as the big 4 named above.

Any tips to checking struts/shocks without pulling them out? Anybody think the popping is because I needed pinion snubber?

Sorry for the long post

Josh

• Sponsors (?)

The stockers wear out very fast. The best way to tell if they are bad is to just drive it. You do not have to get mad tyte shocks, you can get all four replaced DIY for just over $100.

Like already said, take a rear shock off and compress it. If it makes odd noises other than the sound of air being compressed or it compresses REALLY easy ... it is shot. It is SIMPLE to change the rears. The fronts can be somewhat of a PITA if you have a real hard time taking the top strut nut off (I did!!). Good luck and let us know what the outcome is.