How to identify gt40 heads

5.0 Fiend

Mar 23, 2004
I have heard of gt40 heads being a good increase over stock, and that they came on some explorers. My question is, what years did the gt40's come on explorers, and how do I identify them?

• Sponsors (?)

5.0 Fiend said:
I have heard of gt40 heads being a good increase over stock, and that they came on some explorers. My question is, what years did the gt40's come on explorers, and how do I identify them?

I believe all 5.0 V8 Explorers got the GT-40P heads. Which are different from the GT-40 head. The P head has the spark plugs coming out at a different angle, which requires special headers. FRPP sells the headers you would need.

I'm pretty sure the GT-40 heads only came on 93-95 Cobra's and some crate motors. For a long time you could buy them dirrect from FRPP (then called SVO). A couple years ago they were discontinued.

GT-40P heads can be ID'd by the "GTP" on the head. According to this http://www.ford-fox.org/viewtopic.php?topic=619&forum=1 the GT40 has "GT" cast where the "GTP" is.

See this link for more info on GT-40 vs. GT-40P:
http://www.themustang-net.com/tech_articles/gt40p.shtml

gtp02.jpg

GT40s also came on Explorer through mid 94. GT40s have 3 bars on the end and GT stamping, instead of the 4 bars and GT40P stamping. My heads came from a 94 Explorer. The Cobra heads have a smaller combustion chamber, raising the compression, as compared to the over the counter or explorer GT40s, hence I had mine milled .025. If you get the GTs, make sure you look into better springs, unless you run the stock camshaft.

Not quite - regular GT40's came on Explorers through the first couple of months of 97 model production -- somewhere around build dates in Oct.96 the swap was made to GT40P's. That means 95, 96 and the first month or two's production of 97's had GT40's; the rest had P's. Look for the 3 parallel bars cast into the ends of the heads. I don't believe the 5.0L was available in the Explorer until the 95 model year - 94 models the only engine available was the pushrod 4.0L v6.