How To Install A Vortech On Tv

• Sponsors (?)

Atlanta_GTer said:
Yes, most definitely. Sad isn't it.
Funny when I just got up from the TV watching the show only to come here and see this thread.

I did exactly the same thing! Is it me or does 82 horsepower for $3,500 sound like a kick in the nads? Even without the non pi-heads? Thats pathetic!! I'm starting to get REALLY pissed about buying a 1996 Mustang!!! :mad: :bang:

Hey I just heard something! That Mustang on Horsepower TV also has headers, cat-back exhaust, and a couple of other mods and it made only 204 horsepower pre-blower. My 96 made 200.4 horsepower with cat-back and BBK off-road X-Pipe, THATS IT! I also have 4.10 gears and a Steeda shifter but those don't affect the power rating. That sure is a melon-scratcher! WHAT GIVES??:shrug:

-Mike

redlined50 said:
$400 used heads
$150 install parts
$400 dyno tune

$950 total for the headswap and it gives you close to the same numbers so thats not too bad, you will be putting down more power than the 99+
Thats not bad...

Whered you get the used heads for 400?

Atlanta_GTer said:
I would agree. I'm sure a few more HP are possible with the proper tuning. However, those heads just KILL it. Even with a great and safe tune, I would expect no more than 315.
WOW, those heads make THAT much of a difference? I was saving up for a ATI blower but looks like heads are in order before I get the blower....damn.

-Mike

SALEENstang96 said:
WOW, those heads make THAT much of a difference? I was saving up for a ATI blower but looks like heads are in order before I get the blower....damn.

-Mike

Don't absolutely quote me on that 315, but YES the heads do make a VERY large differece. Just do a search on the boards for "head swap" and read some of the before and after dyno numbers on N/A head swap cars like yours. My opinion, I would go for the head swap first.
The heads are the main reason the pre 99 GTs make less than 195 rwhp stock and the 99+ GTs make over 225 rwhp.

Alright, but are there heads better then the 99 and up heads? Cuse it might just be better in the long run so that I don't but the newer heads only to have to replace them in the future. Sorry about all the questions, I'm just really ticked at my car and I'm trying to justyfy not putting a sledgehammer to it.

-Mike

SALEENstang96 said:
Alright, but are there heads better then the 99 and up heads? Cuse it might just be better in the long run so that I don't but the newer heads only to have to replace them in the future. Sorry about all the questions, I'm just really ticked at my car and I'm trying to justyfy not putting a sledgehammer to it.

-Mike

Currently there are no "aftermarket" heads for our cars. Best thing is to convert to the newer heads and have a few things done to them, such as ported and polished along with larger valves. Even "Stage I" heads will really wake up that car, especially the torque curve. I know I remember several guys that produced over 300 RWTQ after the head swap.

Atlanta_GTer said:
Currently there are no "aftermarket" heads for our cars. Best thing is to convert to the newer heads and have a few things done to them, such as ported and polished along with larger valves. Even "Stage I" heads will really wake up that car, especially the torque curve. I know I remember several guys that produced over 300 RWTQ after the head swap.
Yowza! Alright. Thanks! Well, looks like I found somewhere to dump my cash. The new heads have a different manifold, correct? I had the Ford recall done to my car (the recall where the intake manifold 1st runner is replaced with an aluminum one) But is the the newer manifold that I have the 99 and up manifold? Any one, chime in if you can shed some light on my inadequate Mustang knowledge. Show's ya how UTI was worth, huh?

-Mike

if your going to go with the 99+ heads you will need the intake that goes along with it, i'm just going to get the lower and go with a c&l plenum

here is a Head swap Parts List

Cylinder Heads
Intake Manifold
Alternator Bracket
Heater Hose
Windsor Valve Cover x2
Heater Outlet Hose
Oil Dipstick Tube
AE Heater Tube
Timing Cover Gaskets
Intake Manifold Gasket
Head Change Kit
Valve cover gaskets

also if you plan on going with a power adder later you might want to have someone do some work on the heads before you put them on, when you put the 99+ heads on 96-98 cars there is a compression increase that puts it over 10:1 which is not good when supercharging, i'm not saying t cann't be done but there is only a few people that have done it you need a very consertive tune and very little boost.

redlined50 said:
if your going to go with the 99+ heads you will need the intake that goes along with it, i'm just going to get the lower and go with a c&l plenum

here is a Head swap Parts List

Cylinder Heads
Intake Manifold
Alternator Bracket
Heater Hose
Windsor Valve Cover x2
Heater Outlet Hose
Oil Dipstick Tube
AE Heater Tube
Timing Cover Gaskets
Intake Manifold Gasket
Head Change Kit
Valve cover gaskets
Alright! Thanks, I'm searching the internet right now trying price these things out. I really appreciate the help! This is why I like this site so much! Thanks again!
-Mike :flag:

SALEENstang96 said:
I did exactly the same thing! Is it me or does 82 horsepower for $3,500 sound like a kick in the nads? Even without the non pi-heads? Thats pathetic!! I'm starting to get REALLY pissed about buying a 1996 Mustang!!! :mad: :bang:
If I had seen the show three months back (when I was making my mind about a supercharger) I would have been very dissaponted about the 82 rwhp gain that the Horsepower TV hosts claimed. Although, I did not know about the heads swap. Good thing that I have KB installed on my pony's power plant! :D

el_kid_1 said:
If I had seen the show three months back (when I was making my mind about a supercharger) I would have been very dissaponted about the 82 rwhp gain that the Horsepower TV hosts claimed. Although, I did not know about the heads swap. Good thing that I have KB installed on my pony's power plant! :D
But, just to kinda justify Horsepower TV, the 96 Stang was not intercooled (or aftercooled like they wanted to do) and the car wasn't properly dyno tuned. However, even after all dyno tuning and intercooling it still doesn't justify spending $3,500 (not counting the price of an intercooler and dyno tune.) So basically, without robbing a Federal bank, the 96-98 Stangs have ALOT of work ahead of them if the they want to compete with today's cars. :(
Man....am I screwed or what!

-Mike