How to install on window lift bushings.

VibrantRedGT

"STANGNET'S PENGUIN SMACKER"
15 Year Member
Nov 29, 1999
Boca Raton, Florida
Pics came out a little blury but you will get the idea.

Pop off the plastic cover. Start from the top with your fingers and pull up. Remove the two gold phillips screws holding the switches.

imag0063.jpg

Remover the phillips screws.

imag0064.jpg

Pull the tab before the speaker out with some plyers.

imag0075.jpg

Remove the four phillips speaker screws. You won't have to disconnect the speaker. The speaker magnet will catch on some metal.

imag0065.jpg

Disconnect the window motor connector. Now work the window motor side through the hole.

imag0067.jpg

Here are the three 8MM bolts holding the window motor in place. Before removing them put a screw driver in the window tract. Some say the window will fall it you don't. Mine did not but do it for safety precautions. Now put your arm through the speaker hole and use your other hand to remove the bolts. The window lift will fall right out now.

imag0068.jpg

Bring it to a work bench.

imag0069.jpg

Remove the cover with a screw driver. You can see here where it is clamped (screwdriver is pointing to the notch).

imag0070.jpg

With the cover off you can see the mess of chewed plastic bushings. Clean all the bushing material up.

imag0071.jpg

Remove the gear ring. This will be a pain. I used to small nails. Stick in the holes and pull out. You will figure you own way when you get there.

imag0072.jpg

Now pull the steel gear out. Also pull the white plastic gear out. At this point you can just purchase an entire gear kit from Cardone. Part number is 42-94 and costs around $20 (easier way). There is no assembly required with this route. Or you can go to the dealer and get plastic bushings like I'm installing here for $13.

imag0073.jpg

Put the new plastic bushings in place. Now put the entire assembly back in the window lift housing. Put the gear ring back on and dab a little grease on it. Put the cover back on and reverse the window lift removal procedure. (Screwdriver tip pointing to the bushings.)

imag0074.jpg

• Sponsors (?)

Could be, I had to replace my entire driver's side window lift because I dropped it. I was going to change the bushings and there was so much grease it fell. I just installed a Cardone window lift and that was solved. Then the other night the passenger side wouldn't go all the way up. The bushings I was gonna use on the driver's I used on the passenger.

Oh just because it works doesn't mean the bushings aren't toast. Mine worked fine for a long time. The bushings broke up in the right places I guess. I was just waiting for the intermitent thing to start.

I added this to the FAQ sheet.

Good stuff...Here are a couple from mine.

593619WindowMotor4.jpg

All those little broken pieces need to be removed. I use a Shop Vac. If those pieces are left behind, they can jam up the gears later

593622WindowMotor5.jpg

These are what those pieces use to look like. They go in each corner of the plastic gear inner triangle, and the metal gear fits snuggly inside. Be sure to add plenty of lube on all the gear surfaces!

RC

Attachments

• 593619WindowMotor4.jpg
    593619WindowMotor4.jpg
    57.3 KB · Views: 106
  • 593622WindowMotor5.jpg
    593622WindowMotor5.jpg
    60.1 KB · Views: 98
Best ever

Without a doubt that is the best detailed instruction for how to replace the window bushings I have ever seen. Great information for a Mustang but it is the same for most other Fords. I've done the same replacement for a '93 F-150. Good job and thanks for showing me how to get the panel off. I'm off to fix it. :spot:

3greenfords said:
Without a doubt that is the best detailed instruction for how to replace the window bushings I have ever seen. Great information for a Mustang but it is the same for most other Fords. I've done the same replacement for a '93 F-150. Good job and thanks for showing me how to get the panel off. I'm off to fix it. :spot:
Welcome to our boards :flag:

Where the h3ll is "Niceville"? Niceville, FL sounds like an oxymoron!
RC

Awesome picture of the inside of the gearbox. I am wondering how 94GTLaserRC got ahold of those three little round plastic pieces the go inside the gear box. If anyone knows an address, web address or any piece of information that partains to obtaining these, would you please post that information or you can email me from this site. I have allowed others to send emails.

Thanks all, have a wonderful day.

Awesome picture of the inside of the gearbox. I am wondering how 94GTLaserRC got ahold of those three little round plastic pieces the go inside the gear box. If anyone knows an address, web address or any piece of information that partains to obtaining these, would you please post that information or you can email me from this site. I have allowed others to send emails.

Thanks all, have a wonderful day.

At the time I bought the whole gear replacement from Ford for about $20...Way more than they cost now, but worth it at the time. I think I wanna make and market these..they seem to be hard to find and high in demand.

WELCOME TO STANGNET...!!!

RC