how to relocate starter solenoid to the trunk..anyone done this

tnardo

Founding Member
Jan 23, 2000
Norwalk, Ohio
i was reading a post on here earlier and someone was talking about being able to relocated the starter solenoid to the trunk.. how do i do this... what about all the wire that go on with the positive cable

• Sponsors (?)

I would think that it would be a difficult job. If you don't like the location, I would suggest hiding it in the wheelwell. Many have done this and it is in almost the same location. I would think that running all those wires to the back would be a project, if not impossible.

I got mine on the interior side of the firewall, as I have no heater there. I recommend the inner fender(wheelwell as others stated. No real benefit to running it to the back as you need to run wires to the front anyway.....if you relocated the battery.

There's a great spot underneath the rear cowl beneath the wiper blades too. I stuffed mine in there and fabricated a plastic cover for it out of the stock coil cover. About the only way you would be able to see it is if you knew it was there. It didn't take much to rund the wires through the firewall. Maybe a foot and half more cable (depending on how you route it). I'll leave the stealth wiring tips to folks who've spent time working out those issues.

i kept it in the stock location,,, well as close to stock as it gets my whole inner fender in front of the shock tower is custom,, i routed the harness out of the hole where the cruise control crap used to go through.. my harness was long enought to go around the inner fender so i drilled a hole and used a grommet it looks good ill get some pics tommorow

http://groups.msn.com/BlackStang/fabpanel.msnw?action=ShowPhoto&PhotoID=612

here is a pic of the inner fender b4 i put everything back in.. it actually looks worse right now because of some paint chipping.. im gunna go back in.. refabricate the top of where the fender bolts once i get a good welder.. drill out some holes i welded shut that i need... weld some holes in the firewall shut.. and put on some real paint instead of being lazy and spray bombing it

Yeah, the trunk idea sounds like a total PITA, unless you ran a cable up to a distribution block up near the stock location for the other wires but then what would be the point?
The fender well thing is real easy, I avoided it for a long time but alway's liked the way some of these guys' engine bay's looked so I finelly did it (there are some before and after pics in the link in my sig). It was real easy, took me an afternoon and though my car is by no means a "show car", it really cleaned it up allot!
I recomend it.

Shouldn't be too hard but you'll need to run 2 power cables to the front (assuming battery is in trunk). Just bolt the solonoid in the trunk, run the big wires as you would normally (battery to solonoid and solonoid to starter). For the chassis wires, just cut the one that powers the solonoid and make it longer. For the other wires you could use a sound system distribution box to connect them all to a large 4ga. wire and to the rear battery or solonoid. Easy as pie!

Boss 351 said:
Shouldn't be too hard but you'll need to run 2 power cables to the front (assuming battery is in trunk). Just bolt the solonoid in the trunk, run the big wires as you would normally (battery to solonoid and solonoid to starter). For the chassis wires, just cut the one that powers the solonoid and make it longer. For the other wires you could use a sound system distribution box to connect them all to a large 4ga. wire and to the rear battery or solonoid. Easy as pie!

Which is just what I said, but as I said, what would be the point of that? You would just have a distribution block with wires coming off of it insted of a solenoid with wires coming off of it, your solenoid in the trunk and an extra cable running the length of you car :shrug:

I put mine in the trunk, but the battery and the cut-off is there too. That and I dont have inner fenderwells, so a good examination from a thief could lead to my car missing in action since all it would take is a screwdriver to start it!!
Did anyone think of that???Maybe I'm paranoid.......

Stang951 said:
I put mine in the trunk, but the battery and the cut-off is there too. That and I dont have inner fenderwells, so a good examination from a thief could lead to my car missing in action since all it would take is a screwdriver to start it!!
Did anyone think of that???Maybe I'm paranoid.......

Your ignition would have to be turnned on.
And the clutch depressed if it is a 5 speed. The guy would have to have some real long arms.