How to take out factory radio?

• Sponsors (?)

you sure do, if you ordered from cruthfield it should of came with the radio, if not the best advice I have is to run to an installation place and see if you can sweetalk them into hooking you up just to pull the radio out, then after that it's easy. The tool looks like to mini U bolts

BlownStangGT said:
Im installing a cd player today and I need to kno how to pull out the stock radio? I see there is like 4 little hole things, not sure if I stick somehing in there to pull it out or what. Thanks

There are little prong tools that you can buy at Best Buy or Circuit city that insert into the holes to release the tabs that hold them in. You might swing buy and ask them to borrow it to take it out. They can be a real PITA though.

I think the tool is called a "Ford Radio Puller." Ford/Mazda are the only ones that use it. I picked mine up at Advanced auto parts. You might need 2 of them, one for each side. I found that it was easier to do both sides at once because if you do one side at a time, the opposite side clicks back into place.

I prefer to use some allen keys (wrenches) to put in the holes to pull the tabs back.

If you have an inch and metric set of allen keys just find 4 that fit about right.

BTW, if your allen keys are ball end, the ball will snap into the tab making it easier to pull out than using nails. :nice:

I used teh metal coat hangers. I cut two of them and bent them into a U shape and inserted them into the hole. I have an 89 stang and I had an external amp behind the radio. your cd player will not play if you hook it up.
You have to bypass the amp. I paid 40$ and had a professional do it