How to tell calibration on C&L mass air meter

postalbunny

Oct 26, 2005
Picked up a C&L mass air off ebay, said it was 73mm tuned for 19lbs injectors. I measured it and it's 76mm on the smaller side of the mass air. Is there any way to tell what size the injector? I don't want to just throw it on if it will cause an extreme lean condition and burn my pistons up...

Here are pictures of the mass air meter and the tube.

mass1.jpg

mass2.jpg

BTW: the motor is stock. Car has exhaust, long tubes/offroad/spintech exhaust and 70mm bbk throttle body/spacer going on /w the meter this weekend.

• Sponsors (?)

The metering tubes on C&L sensors are usually color coded for certain size injectors. take a close look at each end of teh small metering tube on the inside and see if there is any color left on one end. Scratch that, if it's a 19lber according to the chart below from C&L's website then it's a clear tube or will have no markings on either end. Good Luck

73mm Unit for 1986-1993 Mustangs (with factory A9L Style Processors)
Std 19lb Calibration Clear Tube (101)
24lb Fuel Injectors Blue Tube (102)
30lb Fuel Injectors Red Tube (103)
36/38lb Fuel Injectors Green Tube (104)

Put it on and it ran like dog crap... tried reseting the computer, cleaning the maf, and clocking it. Even took it for a drive... it bogged and only seemed to run decent at WOT but still didn't perform as good as the stock or even /w the maf unplugged.

Looks like its going back :(

I'd just get a new tube. See if you can find someone on here selling one or on ebay. If not, they are like 20-30 at different retailers online.

You will have to measure the ID of the sample tube.
The coloring scheme is a good idea, but it is easily wiped away with solvents used to clean the MAF wires. I have even heard of guys getting the wrong color on a new sample tube directly from C&L. :eek:

I have the diameters of most sample tubes listed on my website. It should be easy to find via the link in my sig.

It looks like the housing is a sn95-newer unit?
What year is your Mustang?
You are using a sensor for a Fox computer (A9L), and that will make a difference if your stang is a 94 or 95.

If all else fails... You can order the correct sample tube directly from C&L.

Good Luck,
jason

It is for a 94/95. But I attached it to my fox. I tried using my original mas from my fox just in case but it also ran like crap. I looked for a new tube and that's when I found out it's not a C&L tube. It's a "pro flow" or "prom" style. Or at least it looks like them in pictures (the c&l meter tubes don't match up).

Thing is... each picture I find /w my mass air tube has a "proflo" mass sensor in it and not a stock ford one. I think someone needed just the sensor so swapped it out and sold this is on ebay /w their original one.

Thinking of just finding a 94/95 from a junk yard to hold me over until I need 24lbers. Just don't want a stock one, got a 70mm bbk throttle body and i'm sure the maf is the bottleneck now.

postalbunny said:
It is for a 94/95. But I attached it to my fox. I tried using my original mas from my fox just in case but it also ran like crap. I looked for a new tube and that's when I found out it's not a C&L tube. It's a "pro flow" or "prom" style. Or at least it looks like them in pictures (the c&l meter tubes don't match up).

Thing is... each picture I find /w my mass air tube has a "proflo" mass sensor in it and not a stock ford one. I think someone needed just the sensor so swapped it out and sold this is on ebay /w their original one.

Thinking of just finding a 94/95 from a junk yard to hold me over until I need 24lbers. Just don't want a stock one, got a 70mm bbk throttle body and i'm sure the maf is the bottleneck now.

If that is a ProM meter, then everything changes...

You MUST buy a new sensor from ProM/PMAS.
The ProM units will not work with factory Ford sensors.
The sensor must be calibrated by ProM.

The 94/95 MAF will be a good option for you.
Be sure to use the 94/95 sensor as well.

jason

vristang said:
If that is a ProM meter, then everything changes...

You MUST buy a new sensor from ProM/PMAS.
The ProM units will not work with factory Ford sensors.
The sensor must be calibrated by ProM.

The 94/95 MAF will be a good option for you.
Be sure to use the 94/95 sensor as well.

jason

Thanks for the confirmation, that's what I had gathered from seeing that all the pictures of ProM sensors on their tubes. Going to check /w some yards for a mass from a 94/95 tomorrow.

Quick question for everyone else, I get different answers from searches. Will a 70mm mas from a '93 cobra work /w a '90 manual computer? I've read that the mas will work because the '93 computer is calibrated for 24lbrs... but also have read that you can't use a cobra mas /w out the computer.