How to use touch up paint effectively?

Blakers01GT

Master of the Clubhead
Founding Member
Sep 21, 2001
Brown Deer, WI
well my car is about 3 years old. and I have what a typical 3 year old car has(well mine anyway) some scratches and imperfections(mostly in the plastic) I picked up some mineral grea touch up paint. I know the way to use it is not just dab it on, but is there a special way to mix it with something to blend in around the area? Or just try to use it the best that i can? Because one little place i tried it on, the paint looks WAY too dark, any suggestions? thanks.

• Sponsors (?)

For what it's worth...

A tip I read about a few years back and have been using since is:

don't use the brush that comes in the cap of the paint vial. Instead, use the torn end of a match from a paper matchbook. MUCH easier to control the paint application than using the brush.

Blakers01GT said:
well my car is about 3 years old. and I have what a typical 3 year old car has(well mine anyway) some scratches and imperfections(mostly in the plastic) I picked up some mineral grea touch up paint. I know the way to use it is not just dab it on, but is there a special way to mix it with something to blend in around the area? Or just try to use it the best that i can? Because one little place i tried it on, the paint looks WAY too dark, any suggestions? thanks.
clean the area with whatever you do (car wash).
Buy some Rubbing Alcohol from your grocery store or pharmacy for $1
get a Q-tip and rub the area with the alcohol.. let it dry
then apply a dot of paint to the area.. let it dry.. apply up to 3 layers.. then use a layer of wax over it :nice:

-wade

Clean with alcohol, then use something like a match or tiny paint brush to apply it. Use scratch and swirl remover (VERY mild polishing compound) to buff it smooth. Then wax the piss out of it.

Takes forever, but made such a difference on the nose of my car. :nice:

you can also use a toothpick for small rock chips, dip the tip of the toothpick in the paint and fill in the rock chip. this will turn out better than the a small brush which will spread paint beyond the part you want to fix and ends up lookin terrible. polish it up after its dried

Chico01 said:
you can also use a toothpick for small rock chips, dip the tip of the toothpick in the paint and fill in the rock chip. this will turn out better than the a small brush which will spread paint beyond the part you want to fix and ends up lookin terrible. polish it up after its dried
i use the tooth pick too
takes a little work
but so much better

Good timing on this topic. I just gouged my rear bumper yesterday trying to put something in the trunk :notnice:

Not too bad, but when I saw it, it was like being punched in the gut. My own damn fault, though.