How To: VCR Cassette to DVD disc?

d98gt

Founding Member
Mar 14, 2002
SE Texas
A family member asked how this was done being that they want to convert some wedding (and other important times) tapes over to DVD since VCRs aren't all that popular anymore.

What would need to be purchased to make this happen? How exactly does it work?

Thanks for any information on the topic.

• Sponsors (?)

Alright thanks. I'll look into this soon for her, being that I could just get it as a christmas present (doubt it will arrive in time, though it's the thought that counts, right?;))

and yeah...VCRs are pretty much like Cassette players in cars now :rlaugh: even though my mustang does have a tape player :banghead:

You need a DVR....digital video recorder as well as a VCR.
Just input the VCR into the DVR. Have the output of the DVR going to a TV so
you can see what you are doing. Set the the DVR to record on SP, standard play,
they hit record on the DVR and play on the VCR. When finished you will have to
do a procedure called "finalize" the disc.

Depending on how many tapes you want converted and if its a one time project, it may be worth just paying someone else to do it. If not, you have the option of the Go Video player....you could just hook up a VCR to a DVD player/recorder....or you can hook up the VCR to your computer. Buy a tv tuner card if you don't have one already....and plug the VCR into the back. Should be able to record the VCR image onto the computer then burn it to a DVD. Check avsforum.com for all sorts of info.

Then again, some of the quality issues may vary depending on your method. If you're looking for the best quality possible (considering its a VHS tape), I'd just have a pro do it.