how will my subs sound better, facing front or back?

laser2kgt

Feb 18, 2004
Laredo, TX
i got a 00' hard top. currently i have two 10" subs in a sealed box facing back (towards the trunk). so heres the deal, ive tried listening to them facing front vs the back which i currently have set up but they kinda sound the same. when i ask knowledgeable friends, peeps who do installs, and other ppl, they all gimme different responses. so you all with experience on similar stangs and similar subs, what do you recommend? :shrug:

• Sponsors (?)

From what i recomend would be facing toward the trunk (away from the seats) will give you a deaper sound, this happens because the sound waves from the subs are shot out towards the trunk and echo back and are complimented thus amplifying the sound levels, but in turn may cause your trunk to rattle alot more..... Depending on the subs you have however, the sound levels may not change at all.....lol......

the reason you would want to face it toward the back is because the sound from a subwoofer has a longer soundwave...you need to let it extend out...it is this reason that someone standing 20 feet away from your car can fell a ton of bass...and it seems sometimes they "feel" it more than you do inside your car. In a mustang, it isn't a bad idea to try and face the back, so when it bounces back, it will have more time to extend...and maximize the bass you feel....

I did notice in my tahoe i had the sub facing forward for a long time. then one day i moved it backward for some reason and i noticed it was louder. I told the guy at the local shop and he said of course it got louder because the longer it takes for a sub wave to get to you the bigger the wave gets. I dont know if its true but it did make a difference in my tahoe so my sub in my stang faces back.

Ive worked in the distrabution industry with many of the top installers, they all say face them twoards the trunk or away from you, they more the sound is delfected the less speaker noise you hear and you feel the bass rather than hear it, the way its supposed to be expieranced, But you always have to remember its your car so if you want to put them in your pass seat go right ahead just as long as your happy!