Howling noise at highway speeds??

Wikkdgt

Jul 17, 2003
Cincinnati, OH
I noticed recently that while driving at highway speeds(70-75), I sometimes get this loud howling sound, like a really loud humming noise with the windows up and the radio on loud even. Anyone have any ideas what this might be or have an experience with this problem? Thanks

• Sponsors (?)

Wikkdgt said:
I noticed recently that while driving at highway speeds(70-75), I sometimes get this loud howling sound, like a really loud humming noise with the windows up and the radio on loud even. Anyone have any ideas what this might be or have an experience with this problem? Thanks

Interesting....
I just posted a similar Thread a few minutes ago. I have a '00 GT 'Vert.
I noticed the high pitch noise coming from the back (center) on the highway at around 65-80mph. I don't hear it driving in town.
I had my tires replaced a few months ago and I think that may be the reason for this. But the tires (all 4 new) were balanced when I bought them.

Just my 2c...

StangVert00

StangVert00 said:
Interesting....
I just posted a similar Thread a few minutes ago. I have a '00 GT 'Vert.
I noticed the high pitch noise coming from the back (center) on the highway at around 65-80mph. I don't hear it driving in town.
I had my tires replaced a few months ago and I think that may be the reason for this. But the tires (all 4 new) were balanced when I bought them.

Just my 2c...

StangVert00
maybe it the gears. Do the cars have the stock gears in them?

jrc_03_gt said:
maybe it the gears. Do the cars have the stock gears in them?

Good point! Thanks! :nice:

Yes, mine are stock gears. But the more I think about my situation, the more I tend to think that it's the whisting of the new tires that is causing this with me.
If it was warmer weather, I'd "drop the top" to see if I could hear the noise that way.

StangVert00

Well I just recently, last week, put my 17x9 and 17x10.5's back on and that was when it started doing it. It happens every couple of days or so. Mine were balanced and mounted when I got them, but I've had them on for about 4 months with no problems, then I put my stock rims with blizzaks on and no noise, then put the bigger wheels back on and that was when it happened. A friend of mine said maybe it is a wheel bearing or something.

To bring back an old thread...
I've been having the same problem and was wondering if anyone has resolved this issue?

Mine howls around 80 km/h and above...

I have stock gears, and aftermarket exhaust... I've had the same tires on my car for quite awhile. The noise just started happening a little while ago, with no change to my car at all.

COramprat said:
Wheel bearings will make a "whoomp whoomp" type of sound that increases/decrease with speed.. A steady howl may be the u-joint in the driveshaft going bad.
i have a howling noise at highway speed and the first thing i thought of was the driveshaft, i'm no machanic so i dont know what a u joint thats going bad would look like but i wiggled the driveshaft to see if it had any play but its solid as rock. Maybe it is my wheel bearings in my case, it does make a sorta of whoomp whoomp noise like you described.:shrug:

if you have a u-joint going TU it won't make for a wiggly driveshaft. what happens is that the needle bearings go dry from lack of lubrication, and grind away to nothing. if you've never done anything with them, its prolly a good idea to have a close up look.

The rundown on my bad DS was at around 2000rpms I would get a real deep moan that resonated throughout the car. Like a subwoofer with a steady hum. I would do it in each gear and at about the same rpms.

The wheel bearings were were a pulsing sound...like I described. Whoopmp whoomp whoomp. Sounds silly describing it that way but that is what I had.

padge said:
To bring back an old thread...
I've been having the same problem and was wondering if anyone has resolved this issue?

Mine howls around 80 km/h and above...

I have stock gears, and aftermarket exhaust... I've had the same tires on my car for quite awhile. The noise just started happening a little while ago, with no change to my car at all.

To expand on my problem...it starts quietly around 50 km/h, then gets really loud, then quiets down a bit again. It isn't a pulsating howl, it's just really loud (not very deep though) around 80-85 km/h. Also, to narrow it down a little, it quiets right down when I take a right curve on a highway...

??