HP gains with aftermarket ignition?

fordman54935

Jan 10, 2003
Wisconsin
I've been thinking of going with an aftermarket ignition, specifically the Crane Fireball because of its price and it includes a new Fireball coil.

What do you guys run for ignition? And what do you think of them? Will I be gaining much over the factory stuff?

Mods are in sig.

Thanks!

• Sponsors (?)

Actually.. it has been proven the stock ign is the last thing to mod!! MSD is the choice of almost everyone!! MSD is what I run and it has NEVER let me down, and I'm really at its limit on my big block ( MSD6). IF there is any gain over stock.. it wont be noticable to the driver, untill you really bump compression and fuel mix... cool??

Just me...........................................

Thumper

Grassroots Motorsports did before and after dyno runs on their mildly modded 5.0L Mustang (P heads, B cam, exhaust, etc.) with a Jacobs Ignition system. They picked up 6HP peak and 12 ft-lbs. of torque at peak, with a nice bump in torque across the rev range. Take it with a grain of salt - it's the only dyno number I've seen that hasn't come from the manufacturer themselves. Most folks allude to things like a more stable, smoother idle, better emissions or gas mileage, etc. For the mods on your car, the stock ignition is sufficient. Add the unit if you want to (that's a perfectly good reason to add it by the way), but I wouldn't count on any break-through performance increases.

I've run stock points, dual-point mallory, and now MSD, and I've never noticed any difference in acceleration. (Except now I don't change points anymore) I think tuneability is the important part, aftermarket distributors have very adjustable timing curves.

I picked up 2 mph with the addition of an msd digital 6. Went from consistent 13.1 to best of 12.7, all with the same 60' times. THANK YOU MSD!

Adding a aftermarket ignition is a waste of time on a mild engine.If anything get a crane ps-91 ignition coil that is what I run.A new ignition will add a bigger fatter spark.That will give you better idle and a more complete burn.Some come with brains like the jacobs that will send more then one spark per strke.Most people who run aftermarket run them for the spark retard and rpm limiter among fatter better spark.Get the crane ps-91 and a 8.8 set of the best you can afford plug wires with a brass terminal cap and rotor.That is about all you need to do to the ignition.

Jacobs isn't the only one which sends more than 1 spark per strike. MSD = Multiple Spark Discharge ;) . I have also heard what Thumper said to leave ignition till the end unless you need the boost retard or something. Ive seen some 10 second rides using the stock ignition so I think it will suffice for you. The 300 you will spend on igniton i'd rather throw into some upper and lower control arms or save another 300 and throw a set of Powerheads (stock cnc ported heads) on there. Either way if you get the ignition, i'm sure it wont hurt!

Thanks for the advice! I think for now I'll stick with the stock stuff, and maybe eventually upgrade the coil (definately if the original one craps out). I just recently put new Ford Racing 9mm plug wires, new plugs, and new cap and rotor on, so I'll be good for a while I think.

My car is pretty much bone stock. I decided to put one of those ACCEL high output coils on. My car actualy idled worse. Now this may very well have just been a bad coil, but other than the rougher idle I couldn't tell any difference between the accel and the stock 17 year old coil. I ended up buying a 15 dollar OEM replacement coil at the parts store (I had thrown the stocker away) the car idles fine with it. Like I said I probably just got a bad one , but I ended up wasting 50 bucks for nothing.

Ignition boxes that alter timing can help. If you were running spray or even boost, you can run a boost/nitrous retard so you can run 14*+- but when you hit the button it would knock it back down where you want it set. Some aftermarket ignitions retard the timing durring cranking, which can help crank better and the rev limiter can be done through the ignition instead of through the fuel. IOW, it will make you car run better, but not nessasarly faster. But better running will equal faster, depends on the case.