Hpw do I take the speakers out?

Huney

Apr 1, 2005
How do I take the speakers out?

1996 Mustang 3.8 V6 rag top.
First question: Like to replace the front and rear speakers but don't know how to get the panels off. Do the speaker covers pop off or do I have to take off the whole panel?
Second question: Senior citizen here and not into the tumpa-thumpa heavy bass but love rock n' roll music. I know speaker technology must have come a long way in ten years plus mine being ten years old 'prolly need replacing. Could you please suggest a good brand of speaker that will give decent performance with the stock Ford sound system? Stereo AM-FM, Cassette and CD work fine. Guy at the local sound shop wants $180. for four installed but that sounds sort'a stiff to me. PowerBass 5" X 7" 75W - 150W max. Thought maybe I could order four on line and install them myself and save some bucks. Suggestions appreciated and have a nice week end. Huney.

• Sponsors (?)

First off, yes the whole panel needs to come off. I made that mistake by assuming it was just the speaker cover that needed to come off...For speakers, it really depends on how much money you want to spend on them. You can install them yourself if you have 0.01% of car knowledge. As for recomendations, I only recomend one brand of speakers, Infinity Kappa series. They sound amazing at any volume. They are a little expensive, but you will not be disappointed.

OK, the panels have to come off, but how? I looked and didn't see how I could get then off so instructions please.
Been doing some research and looks like a decent set will cost me $150. to $200. so four PowerBass's installed for $180. doesn't sound bad. I surfed around looking for PowerBass reviews but found none. Huney

Never heard of powerbass speakers, I would be a little cautious. Try to stick with name brands, rockford fosgate, sony, infinity, etc. As for the panel, you have to remove the rear seat, back part and the part that you sit on. I will look for the instructions later tonight and post them for you (instructions from crutchfield).

MyEarsHurt said:
As for recomendations, I only recomend one brand of speakers, Infinity Kappa series. They sound amazing at any volume. They are a little expensive, but you will not be disappointed.

I whole heartedly agree. Best speakers hands down. The rears are tricky, the front doors are a little easier but can still be a pain.

MyEarsHurt said:
Never heard of powerbass speakers, I would be a little cautious. Try to stick with name brands, rockford fosgate, sony, infinity, etc. As for the panel, you have to remove the rear seat, back part and the part that you sit on. I will look for the instructions later tonight and post them for you (instructions from crutchfield).

I tried to find instructions at Crutchfield but all I came up with was a removal tool, (nail puller?), no instructions on how to install: http://www.crutchfield.com/cgi-bin/ProdView.asp?i=18187650 Infinity Kappas way to rich for my budget.

I surfed and Googled high and low and can't find out anything about PowerBass, so they're out. I found these Alpines at Circuit City for $57. and Crutchfield and BestBuy want $109. The user reviews are very good and a guy put them in a 96 'Stang like mine so I know they'll fit. Four good speakers for $114. sounds good to me. (Pardon the pun.) http://www.circuitcity.com/rpsm/oid.../order/D/rpem/ccd/productDetailReview.do#tabs

Going by my friends body shop today and find out exactly what I have to do to get the panels off and go from there. Thanx much for the advice. Huney.