Drivetrain Hurst Shifter too large for trim ring?

kopgre98

Sep 11, 2023
NJ
Hey guys. Recently got back into fox bodies and picked up a bone stock 1987 GT Vert. I picked up an old school Hurst short throw shifter a few weeks from a local guy that parts out fox bodies. Went to install it today and the entire install went smooth until I had to install the factory boot and trim ring. The plate on top of the shifter that holds the shift stops protrudes so high that you cant get the trim ring back on. I have installed a ton of shifters in fox bodies over the years and its the first time I am running into this. Anyone else ever run into this issue?

Attachments

• 377912141_272750025707013_5563476965542954424_n.jpg
    377912141_272750025707013_5563476965542954424_n.jpg
    216.9 KB · Views: 68
  • 377908328_680400323672963_3447877443051287051_n.jpg
    377908328_680400323672963_3447877443051287051_n.jpg
    180.8 KB · Views: 58
  • Sponsors (?)

I ended up flipping over the top plate that holds the shift stops. I dont plan on racing this car anyway so I shouldnt need them. And if I ever do I'll have to buy a new shifter.

So I am pretty sure you have to cut the center out of the stock lower shift boot. From there you work the boot over the shifter and stops and it seals around rhe shifter below the “ring” the stops are in.

This is looking at the pics you have provided which are a little too zoomed in or tight for me to really see the whole lower boot.

Reactions: 1 users
So I am pretty sure you have to cut the center out of the stock lower shift boot. From there you work the boot over the shifter and stops and it seals around rhe shifter below the “ring” the stops are in.

This is looking at the pics you have provided which are a little too zoomed in or tight for me to really see the whole lower boot.

Like So:
1694493193330.png

You might get some use out of the rest of this install:

Perhaps I am misunderstanding but my thought was the shift stop is sticking so high up that he can't install the shifter boot and trim. That's why i was asking if the transmission was sitting high for any reason.

Reactions: 1 user

Mustang5L5 you are correct. The actual plastic trim ring could not be installed because of how high the shift stop come up. The only way I was able to install it was to flip the shift stop plate. I know its a very old style Hurst model I have personally never seen one before but I got it for a steal so I just made it work.​

While shift stops are a benefit to the T5, keep in mind the stock T5 shifter does not have any stops.

Also keep in mind, sagging engine mounts will lift the back of the T5 up slightly.

AeroCoupe thats the shifter! I was looking for pictures all over Google could not find one. But yes thats exactly what I did was just flip the shift stop plate. Honestly the more I use it the more I am not in love with the shifter, its really hard to find reverse in. I can see why Hurst stopped making it but it will do for now.​

I had one on my old Thunderbird Turbo Coupe and it was garbage. Just buy and MGW and be done with it. I have Pro 5.0’s on both of my cars with the stock handles and they are good. Drove one with an MGW and they are waaaay better.

Hey guys. Recently got back into fox bodies and picked up a bone stock 1987 GT Vert. I picked up an old school Hurst short throw shifter a few weeks from a local guy that parts out fox bodies. Went to install it today and the entire install went smooth until I had to install the factory boot and trim ring. The plate on top of the shifter that holds the shift stops protrudes so high that you cant get the trim ring back on. I have installed a ton of shifters in fox bodies over the years and its the first time I am running into this. Anyone else ever run into this issue?
I would buy and install this https://lmr.com/item/PRO-7210T5/Mustang-PRO-50-Shifter-T5-T45 designed to make the 2nd to 3rd shift quick and bolt the hurst handle with the white knob then set shift stops or even try the white knob on the 5.0 short-throw shifter handle I am currently using this knob https://lmr.com/item/SVE-7213H/mustang-cobra-shift-knob-5-speed-sve-79-04 with the Pro 5.0 short-throw shifter handle and I love it.

Last edited: