Hydracarbon Trap

I searched threads for this and came up with only 1 which did not help.

I bought my car used, it already had the hydracarbon trap removed and a K&N CAI installed.

How can I find out if my car originally came with the hydracarbon trap? Do I need it? The K&N website says to replace it (if it originally came with one).

Will my car run better with one in it?

Why did Ford put them in some cars and not others?

Which cars have it, California cars, 2005? What?
:shrug:

• Sponsors (?)

Early 2005 models came with it. We bought our '05 in July '05 and it didn't have one. It's useless, and that's why Ford got rid of it. Since the previous owner removed it, there's no reason to worry about it. You do not need it, and won't see any benefits by installing one.

The hydrocarbon trap was installed to filter any unburnt gas left in the cylinder when the vehicle is shut off. The vapor will come back out through the intake, and Ford was trying to go all Green Peace on our ass by installing it. Obviously it does not work and it's not needed.

Thanks guys, I won't worry with it. Mines a late '05 (June) so it probably did not come with it. Casey, I wouldn't throw it away, never know if you may need it for something.

People used to throw away emissions stuff off their Boss 302 back in the day, or their rev limiter. Priced one of those puppies for a 1970 Boss 302 recently?

:rolleyes: