Hydraulic clutch?????

FRB427

Oct 9, 2004
south jersey
Can anyone tell me what it is going to take to put a tremec TKO 500 in? My pop has always been around mechanical clutches so if he has no idea then i def. do not know. I plan on using a 347 or 392 motor. This car is going to be a resto-mod, so if it takes some massaging that is fine. This might be to broad of a question but any help from anyone who has experience would be appreciated.

• Sponsors (?)

dna

Project DNA = Do not Assume anything will fit. If anyone says it all bolt on, they're full of it..

I just did the swap. You will have to get the obvious new clutch (tremec splined) new clutch fork, new starter, bellhousing/scattershield, crossmember, mount, driveline, clutch linkage, slip yoke and shfiter lever. I think that's everything if you're going from a manual. Otherwise you will need the new clutch and brake pedals. Then your parking brake can be an issue, you will more that likely have to re-run the exhaust. Trimming of the tunnel is involved both through the shifter hole and at minimum the area under the tunnel on 65-68 and shim for the correct pinion angle. Plan on a good 18-20 hours with a full service shop, if all goes well. This is expensive and time consuming...

Believe it or not, I love the ending results.