Hydrogen powered Shelby Cobra

SadbutTrue

Founding Member
May 1, 2002
Granada Hills, California
Although its usually the last place to get good info, I saw an article in the LA Times this mornign that Shelby, while building his new line of Cobras (the AC kind, yes he's remaking them too, yes he's a money grubbing whore, thats beside the point) which retail in the 80-100k range, he's also making a hydrogen powered version that will retail int he 150-170k range. The article said the top of the line hydrogen car would have 400 hp, and that they were all V8s, they just ran on hydrogen instead of gasoline. It would also get 25 mpg, albeit only having a 4 gallon tank.

I, looking beyond the price, realized that if they can stuff a hydrogen V8 in an original style Cobra, they can definitely do this to Mustangs... so in 10 years when we all run out of gas and hydrogen engines aren't so outrageous and probably will make more power, I can just drop a hydrogen V8 in my car... yes, i'd rather drive a gas powered, original style v8, but... at least my car wouldn't have to rot away...

Another factor is that Shelby automobiles, though they might have had help from other companies, is a small companyw ith limited R&D capability.. if they could do it, a major company could do it much cheaper...
Thoughts?

• Sponsors (?)

thoughts? ya, we wont run outta gas in 10 years, they'll drill in Alaska before that happens. World gas supply is atleast 100 years i would think from things ive read. and 400hp off of air??? somehow i doubt those motors, if it was that possible and as easy as they've already done it, no new cars would be using gas right now

Here in Vancouver they're starting a project that will introduce Hydrogen gas stations along the route from Vancouver to Whistler by the 2010 Winter Olympics.

I think that's pretty cool.

thats what the times said... and while i was sorta exagerrating with the 10 year claim, most estimates i see are in the 30-50 year range, and with the newfound love for SUVs and performance and the fact that we are just now starting to tap the massive asian market, i don't really think that the number will be growing..

65fastback2+2 said:
thoughts? ya, we wont run outta gas in 10 years, they'll drill in Alaska before that happens. World gas supply is atleast 100 years i would think from things ive read. and 400hp off of air??? somehow i doubt those motors, if it was that possible and as easy as they've already done it, no new cars would be using gas right now

Hydrogen has a lot of power potential. Ever try igniting a hydrogen balloon? They make a BIG boom :D

The problem is that it's so volatile, it's not the safest thing to keep in a tank in your car.

SadbutTrue said:
I, looking beyond the price, realized that if they can stuff a hydrogen V8 in an original style Cobra, they can definitely do this to Mustangs... so in 10 years when we all run out of gas ...
Thoughts?
Umm, the world reserves of oil has grown and grown since oil was first discovered in Pennsylvania way back when. People used to worry we'd run out over 100 years ago. However, we keep figuring out better ways to drill and extract oil. Right now we have around 300 years worth at the current rate of consumption. So there's absolutely no reason to worry or spend a bunch of money on an alternate energy source. It's wasteful to do right now.

It's kinda hard to fit hydrogen into a small enough package. That's probably the biggest technical obstacle at the moment. Hydrogen is a great fuel though. It isn't more volatile or dangerous than gasoline, that explosion stuff is a myth. I'll grant you that the pictures of the Hindenburg are scary, though.

My last thought is that the LA Times is a liberal rag. I wouldn't use it to wipe unmentionable things. I can't believe all the stunts they pulled during the last governor election. :rolleyes: