I can't believe how nice black is!

nyyankee

Jun 8, 2003
New York
Past the dealer and saw a V6 Legend Lime and a Black GT. I have been beating my head thinking about which color to get. I have to say I can't believe how nice black looks on the GT. It was unbelievable. It was the best looking black sports car I have seen, like glass,awesome. Every line was detailed. As a 5 time Fox body owner I think I may have just made my choice. When I purchase the car will not be an everyday driver. Just hope I don't regret it like every person I know who had a black car and said they would never do it again.

• Sponsors (?)

nyyankee said:
Past the dealer and saw a V6 Legend Lime and a Black GT. I have been beating my head thinking about which color to get. I have to say I can't believe how nice black looks on the GT. It was unbelievable. It was the best looking black sports car I have seen, like glass,awesome. Every line was detailed. As a 5 time Fox body owner I think I may have just made my choice. When I purchase the car will not be an everyday driver. Just hope I don't regret it like every person I know who had a black car and said they would never do it again.

MY 66, 84,85 Mustangs were and my 97 Cobra is black. Everyone of them were the"last time I will ever buy a F@#%ing black car". Nothing looks better then a freshly washed and waxed black car, especially under the lights of a new car showroom. Unfortunatly that "look" lasts about 3 min. DON"T DO IT!!!!

Black is beautiful, no doubt, but almost impossible to keep clean. I own a black Trans Am and she is the best thing to look at clean but keeping it that way is almost impossible.

Things to consider when purchasing a black car.

1) Never...NEVER allow anyone to detail your car, even the dealership. Black is NOT forgiving, and if someone else cleans your car with dirty rags or even cleans with dirty towels expect swirls. The only way to get rid of swirls is with a filling type of wax which hides them or to use an abrasive polish such as 3M Swirl Mark remover to remove. I always clean my car and use 100% American made white cotton towels to wash and dry and still to this day its almost impossible to avoid getting some micro scratches/swirls. This is a fact of life and black cars accentuate this problem.

2) If the car is to be a daily driver, rock chips are also a fact of life. This is inevitable unless the car is going to be a "garage queen" and not see the road that much. Rock chips are frustrating as hell and there is nothing more frustrating after cleaning your car then seeing little white specs in the front where debris has hit the car and chipped away the paint. This again is a fact of life and unavoidable unless you plan to put a bra on the front end, which isn't always the best idea.

3) WATER SPOTS...be warned...they are also a killer on black cars. I've always been carefull of these on mine and know not to wash the car under direct sunlight and try to wash the car after a rainy spell as there are mineral deposits in water and when it drys on your car you get water spots or sometimes called "water etching". Somtimes a clay bar can remove these, sometimes not and at that point you'll have to polish them out. I've had to polish a couple areas on my car before as a trip to Tulsa one weekend my brothers sprinkler system got my car good, something about that Tulsa water. :mad:

Other than Water Spots, rock chips, and proper cleaning techniques the only other thing I can think of right now to watch out for is bird poop...you let that sit on your paint and your asking for trouble. Very acidic and can cause discoloration in your paint.

If I were to buy again, which hopefully i'll be getting into an 05 Stang soon, I won't be getting black but probably the grey as lighter colors hide these daily driving imperfections better. If you are to go with a black color here is what I would reccommend.

1) Always detail your car yourself.
2) Never go through a car wash
3) Detail prep, most important part. (dish soap to strip off all wax...dry, clay to remove all oxidation and rail dust...then dish soap wash again...dry)
4) Wash with 100% american made cotton towels (remove the outer edges of the towels)
5) Always separate your washing towels, drying towels, and buffing towels and always use 100% american made cotton. Never mix em up. Never dry with dryer sheets.
6) Never wash in the sun, use a shady area.
7) Personally don't like chamois, sometimes they can retain dirt and when drying can scratch your car.....and if she's black you'll really be upset.
8) When washing try not to go in swirling motions (good idea for black cars).
9) use a sponge for tires/ tire wells...never using your towels there.

I'm sure there is more i'm missing but those are some of the big points. I can tell you that for me the biggest difference was prep...doing the clay bar to remove all oxidation and rail dust to get a squeaky clean surface. I personally use Zaino and believe it to be the best product out there.

Just remember, with black there is a LOT of work to do to keep the paint tip top if your into that. Hope the info helps.

One thing to add, I have original black paint on my 16 year old car and it has not been garaged. However the paint not near perfect but still looks alot better then any other color in great condition. The paint doesn't have to be perfect to still look good (or better than other colors). When it looks good it looks good, this being said i am debating black vs. silver, but the black is just hard to give up, then ill have 2 black cars........

Water spots:

FYI:

Mix some Lime Away with water to remove water spots on any part of your car.

I haven't found anything that works better. I have a black car and I hate water stops. Lime Away and water will take water spots off your car like they were never there.

Toney C said:
Water spots:

FYI:

Mix some Lime Away with water to remove water spots on any part of your car.

I haven't found anything that works better. I have a black car and I hate water stops. Lime Away and water will take water spots off your car like they were never there.

white distilled vinegar sometimes works as well. never tried the lime away i'd be afraid it would chemically stain the paint...

I still have the original black paint on my Satellite and it looks fine. I also think it is the best color on the new Mustang. My problem is that I also think the black interior is the way to go, but black/black is just too much for me. Black/red looks great but I think it would get old after a while, and I really think the gray and parchment are too light. So I'm still kind of confused. :shrug: Of course I'm still planning to buy used so this is really not a big deal to me. I think I'd be happy with anything except the white or yellow. :D

when is the titanium silver comming out? that is one of the best colors i have seen...its silver for the people who like sliver and its very dark for the prople who like dark colors.

personally i would love to have one in that dark graphite metallic that acura uses, but alas i am a poor college kid

They have the same two colors at the dealer i went to here. When you walk in the doors you see the "Lime Green" GT in front of you. Despite the color I was very excited because it was the first New stang i had ever seen in person. I got inside it and did the whole thing you do when you get into a new car youve never been in. Then my friend who i was with called from across the showroom and told me they had a Premium GT in what color

Black
THe best black i have ever seen. Mu mom has a black Acura MDX and it doesnt even compare to this one. I was so amaxed at how the color excentuates every curve on the car. It was beautiful.

Betch :hail2:

kizersoze said:
white distilled vinegar sometimes works as well. never tried the lime away i'd be afraid it would chemically stain the paint...

I've never had an issue with it dude. I've been doing this to my car for years without any problems to the paint. My car is 18 years old :nice: . But I have been using lime away with water for water spots since 93' my wifes car is a '96 and it hasn't hurt the paint either.

But of course I only use it when there are spots to remove, which is hardly ever. I dry my car after a wash but you know how you'll park somewhere and then the sprinkler system, that you didn't know was there, comes on while your inside and your car winds up with spots all over it.

NewPony'05 said:
windveil blue and charcoal interior for me, thanks. Got a black ranger. And what's the deal with the American made 100 percent cotton? what's wrong with egyptian cotton? I hear it is a lot softer.

The problem with foreign made towels is that a lot of times they contain polyester and/or nylon backing that will cause swirls... I'm not a towel expert but so the story goes... you can look at autopia.org or some other detailing site for more info.

And for the record, I have an 01 black/black GT daily driver which I LOVE. It is a lot of work to keep her looking nice but it's a labor of love... :nice: