I could use some of your expertice

Mustanglvr2006

Mar 31, 2010
Somewhere
I have a stock exhaust except MagnaPacks, I want to get a catted midpipe, what do you guys think would sound the very best.....h-pipe or x-pipe?

I have had my eye on the Magnaflow Tru-X X-Pipe (Catted, 05-09 Mustang GT)
Our price: $449.99, but before I buy, I would love to hear some other opinions on this.

I believe an h-pipe would be deeper which I like, but, would an x just flat out sound meaner?

Any opinions on this would be of tremendous help.

Thank you all in advance.

• Sponsors (?)

I'm gonna agree with Sparta, it might increase sound a little, but if you are wanting a deep, mean sound and some more power to back it up, just save up for a set of long tubes. The factory Ford exhaust (minus the exhaust manifolds) is actually quite efficient and all that money for a new midpipe that gives you 4-5 RWHP could be put towards a mod that will make you feel a difference in the car.

Long tubes are the best way to go but how can so many people justify spending $400+ dollars for mufflers which may give you 5 rwhp tops and then turn around and say that the stock cats flow well and a high flow h pipe is a waste of money. Those stock cats are the most restrictive part of you stock exhaust.

Long tubes are the best way to go but how can so many people justify spending $400+ dollars for mufflers which may give you 5 rwhp tops and then turn around and say that the stock cats flow well and a high flow h pipe is a waste of money. Those stock cats are the most restrictive part of you stock exhaust.

Not true. For the power a street motor will produce even under moderate boost the factory cats flow enough, if they didn't then 80% of the SC kits out there on the market would not be out there. Either which way the point is why spend $500 for a "hi flow" mid pipe to make 5HP when you can save some bucks get long tubes with performance cats and make 20 - 25HP depending on brand and tuner.

The rwhp range that I have seen on a na engine when adding long tubes and a x pipe is 13-15. Before the catalytic days no one was getting 25 hp from a 300 hp engine from adding long tubes.

how can so many people justify spending $400+ dollars for mufflers which may give you 5 rwhp tops and then turn around and say that the stock cats flow well and a high flow h pipe is a waste of money. Those stock cats are the most restrictive part of you stock exhaust.

One, I REALLY don't think that 99.9% of people really care if changing their mufflers nets any real RWHP gain, it's purely a subjective mod, unless somebody is gonna race the car, nobody on here ask which FLOWS the best, they ask about sound...

And like Sparta said, it's been proven the stock cats are NOT the most restrictive part of the exhaust. Ford did a really good job designing the exhaust for these cars. Anything short of headers (which only net 20-25 RWHP) is purely about the sound you want.

To the OP, were you looking to get a new mid to get a more aggressive sound, or were you wanting it for performance? Because if it's sound, I think gmantheman would be the person to talk to since he has your muffler setup. If it's performance and you aren't running a crazy built motor pushing a ton of boost, save your money.

To the OP, were you looking to get a new mid to get a more aggressive sound, or were you wanting it for performance? Because if it's sound, I think gmantheman would be the person to talk to since he has your muffler setup. If it's performance and you aren't running a crazy built motor pushing a ton of boost, save your money.

I was wanting it for sound, not performance at all, I have been thinking about LTs for a while,but, I'm just a bit worried about my warranty.

I agree that LTs would be the very best way to go, I guess I'll wait for a little bit and do some more thinking about it.

Thanks for all your input, I really appreciate it.

Very true, which is why I called mufflers a purely subjective mod :D

Since we're on this topic, how did you like your prochamber mid? Was the increase in volume unbearable, or did it stay loud but at a liveable level for a DD? I really like the sound of H-pipes, so when I get the LTs put on, I want to stay with that certain style of exhaust note. Are the prochambers comparable more to an X or H pipe?

The increase in volume form stock catted h to prochamber w/hi-flows was not too bad. But when I had prochamber and slp lm, that was almost unbearable of course any midpipe with hi-flows and slp lm will be loud. If you want a deep tone, then get the prochamber.