I found a solution for VT stage 1 cams

Newbie143

May 22, 2005
i think i got it. How about if i order a SCT Xcalibrator 2. They come with 2 custom tunes. So i will just tell them to costumize One tune for the VT stage 1 cams along with all my other mods. How is that??

will that work good or what!?

• Sponsors (?)

artificial HP said:
If you dont mind waiting on mail order retunes it'll work somewhat. Cams should be dyno tuned cause every car reacts differently to cams.

mailorder retunes???? why would you do that when it come with the free PC cable?
just it from Modulardepot.com

i just got a dyno tuned with my sct xcal2 and trust me.. thats the only way to go. i was running 20% lean which put me out of the optimal a/f for power. it's a good idea to do, but i wouldn't run that tune long without putting it back on the dyno to see whats up.

Newbie143 said:
i think i got it. How about if i order a SCT Xcalibrator 2. They come with 2 custom tunes. So i will just tell them to costumize One tune for the VT stage 1 cams along with all my other mods. How is that??

You should be OK to do that. They should be able to get the tune rather close anyway, which is better than running without. That's what I did when I ordered my SCT 4 position chip, I was thinking I might run nitrous later on so I got an extra tune for it.

Newbie143 said:

I dont think the SCT X2 comes with ANY tunes...

Of course everyone will say you need to get tuned for any cam install. And without a doubt if you were doing stage II you wouldn’t even be able to idle without one. But I've heard of people doing stage I without a tune quite a bit. Sometimes it may take three or four cycles for the computer to adapt, but it has been done. I would do the cams then give the ECU a chance to adapt, if that doesn't work, try a "mail order" tune. It won't be EXACT, but because they take all of the variables of your current setup (injectors, mods, gears, etc.) into the mail order tune, close is better than nothing. If there is no dyno near you, your options are limited, but that's not to say it can't be done.

Ken at Modular DePot or Tim at Modular Powerhouse can both send you a tune that will be better than any other "mail order" tune you can get. If you have a flasher, they can send a file. Otherwise, they can send you a chip. However, no mail order tune will be as good as a dyno tune from a reputable, knowledgable tuner.

jimfitzgerald said:
Ken at Modular DePot or Tim at Modular Powerhouse can both send you a tune that will be better than any other "mail order" tune you can get. If you have a flasher, they can send a file. Otherwise, they can send you a chip. However, no mail order tune will be as good as a dyno tune from a reputable, knowledgable tuner.
thx jim , and everyone else that tried to help . I think i'm just gonna open up my own dynoshop :)
I'm not joking...I been thinking about it for 6 months now. The area where i live really needs THAT i can be rich in no time :banana:

Shoot, I got my mail order tune from mustang tuning, and let me tell you, my A/F is all jacked up. Tim may be able to send you a good tune because his job is tuning stangs and he has seen about every combo out there...but i wouldnt trust anyone else. My car is in danger of knocking a hole in the piston now LOL, get it dyno tuned or call Tim and then get it to a dyno to check A/F.(could aslo buy a wideband. Oh and if you get it tuned, take it to a tuner with a mustang dyno...otherwise your tuning the car to the dyno and not the street. Mustang dynos load the car to its real weight, dyno jets load it to avout 2000 pounds...A/F is usually leaner on teh street/mustang vs what a dyno jet says. IMO a good dyno jet tuner will tune the A/F a little bit rich(12.5-12.8ish should do), that way its right on on the street. Hope that helps.

In all honesty with out a wideband 02 you have no way of knowing if the tune is dead on or not. I think modular depot or mph would proably get it right but you never know without data.

dyno time is expensive so the fact you won't be spending money there I owuld just buy the wideband o2 as well. then log you a/f and email it back to who ever does you custom tunes. then they could make any ajustments if need be.