I have to run the cable clutch against the header, how can I have it not melt?

DarkoStoj

Founding Member
Sep 4, 2002
Detroit
so I went through the huge hassle of installing the mustangsteve cable clutch assy only to realize that it is going to rub against my long tube headers. I really don't feel like going through the $$ and time trying to get something else to work. Is there any way I can keep the cable clutch from melting?

• Sponsors (?)

68Eleclone said:
um......haha, convert to a hydraulic clutch ( not trying to be a smart ass by any means, just a suggestion)

John
the clutch was super smooth before it got melted on the header when I was breaking in the cam. Its a nice setup I just want to keep the cable from melting somehow

DarkoStoj said:
the clutch was super smooth before it got melted on the header when I was breaking in the cam. Its a nice setup I just want to keep the cable from melting somehow

I see, well, I dont have a solution. I heard one person slightly bent one of the tubes on the header, and he said it didnt impact the performance of the car.

John

None of that heat sheilding material will provide a long term solution.

I had all my power steering tubes run through that stuff, and in no time it all burned away and my hoses melted through. I eventually fixed the problem so that the hoses never came near the headers, but I imagine that's a lot more difficult for a clutch cable.

i feel your pain! i went through the same thing.i tried to bend the tubes and it was still at a bad angle.you have 2 options, shortie headers or hydraulic setup. i went with the shortie header just to find out later that the cable setup wasnt that great.it seemed to be fine to start with but when it got hot it was alot harder to mash. i finally changed to the jme hydraulic setup and is the best feel and a very clean installation.

DarkoStoj said:
so I went through the huge hassle of installing the mustangsteve cable clutch assy only to realize that it is going to rub against my long tube headers. I really don't feel like going through the $$ and time trying to get something else to work. Is there any way I can keep the cable clutch from melting?

I'm having that same issue w/my '66 Coupe 302cid and heddman headers. Hope you find the fix. I've got to buy a new clutch cable and figure a way to re-route it. Either that or go hydraulic, but I'm figuring on finding a better way to route the cable. Perhaps some kind of heatshield will work sufficient enough if wrapped around the cable. not much space to work with tho

what pisses me off is that the stupid thing was a pain in the ass to install, and the worst thing out of everything is the holes I drilled in the firewall and cowl on my PERFECT rust free 68.

Not sure where your problem is located...I'm guessing that it where the cable exits from the bellhousing. On my 95 Cobra I had to use the larger hole in the clutch fork and drill another hole in the bellhousing to line up with the new hole. I used an adjustable clutch cable with a larger half-ball rounded washer that fit the cable. My issue was a header to clutch fork clearance issue though.

View attachment 452278