I may be buying a 1988 Mustang GT, needs lots of work

GAU89LXStang

Feb 12, 2003
It is a 88 GT a few ways for me to buy it.
1.) Rolling chassis, no motor or trans $1500
2.) Rolling chassis, motor and t-5 trans included not installed $2500

It has the 8.8 with 3.73 gears, donuts on the rear, I guess someone took the original wheels off the rear. Some guy painted the engine bay WHITE. It may need minor bodywork and paint. It has a Saleen (or Saleen-a-like) rear spoiler, and a Cobra rear bumper. It is blue. I am going to look at it on Saturday.

I know it's going to require alot of work to get it running, but there are not many here in Germany, let alone for sale. Plus that's half the fun right, building it yourself. Also it is a speed density car, so while I'm doing the engine install, should I just order the Mass Air kit and install it then too? How far should I try to talk him down. I am leaning more towards option two because getting a engine and tranny over here isn't really feasible, as the military only accepts packages up to 150 lbs.

Thanks for all of your help,
Mo' Town :flag:

• Sponsors (?)

Dont worry about the mass-air conversion yet. When you do a cam swap then switch to mass-air.

I'd offer him 2,000 for everthing. But 2500 could be a steal in Germany?

willys1: I have 3 and a half years left here, and I don't know if I can wait that long. Plus I talked the wife out of a trip to Paris (it was looking like $2500 just to get there and for a place to stay). She says if it keeps me from whining about how much I miss mine then, "Whatever keeps you out of my hair..." was an exact quote from her. Given she is not happy about it, but when I pointed out all the stuff I have bought her for this house, she gave in.

He seems to think that if he puts the motor and trans in it, he can sell it for $5000. I don't think so, even over here. But if it needs too much bodywork I'm walking, cause I hate doing bodywork. And for $5000 I'll fly to the states buy one that is good to go for $3000 to $4000 and ship it for $1000 or $1500. I just want it cheap so I can do what I want to it.

How hard would it be to order the Saleen-a-like parts for it and install them? I have always loved the Saleen fox bodies.

I'll take my digital camera with me and try to get some pics to see what you guys think.

Later,
Mo' Town

88 GT was junk

Well I just got back from looking at the 88 GT. Apparently the previous owner was starting to do a custom paint job. It is like 4 different colors, and needs alot of body work. Plus it has no motor or trans. So it is definetly a NO GO. Especially since the kid thinks he can drop a motor and a tranny in it and sell it for $5000. The interior is garbage too.

But while I was there another guy is selling a 91 LX 4 cylinder. He said he'd through in a 351W block (1988) and a King Cobra clutch, flywheel, and timing cover for $2000. I think I may buy just the car, and use the rest of my budget to start doing the suspension and brakes for a 351W swap when I get to the States. It is silver (almost perfect for sleeper duty). It does have some minor dents and dings, needs new door handles, and a new hood (which I will have to replace for the 351W swap later). So I may go ahead and get it. How much should I offer for it? I was thinking $1200.

Let me know what you guys think.

Later,

Stock 351's arent as fast as stock 302 HO's. Yeah they have TQ but I think they only came with 185HP. If you plan on doing a H/C/Inatke or carb on the 351 then I'd grab it. But I think if you just drop the motor in stock you may be a little disappointed.

I am planning a 351W based stroker, but the 88 blocks were not as desirable from what I have heard. But I may get the car and forget the 351 for now. I think I am going to set the car up as far as the suspension and brakes go.

why dont you just wait until you get back man? why build a car there and then try bring it all the way back to the states? thats a lot of money in shipping, and im sure parts or more expensive there and shipping for those parts is equally expensive. Just save up and when you get back, buy a good stang with a good foundation...

Dude...where are you stationed in Germany? Ramstein Tours and Travel have tour to Paris for Three days for like $100-$150 a person! The wife and I went and loved it. I must admit unless your are looking for a serious project I would either buy something running or wait till you get to the states. JMHO