Resolved I need a guide installing AFR 165 heads and 97 Explorer Upper/Lower Intake

Threads that have been [Resolved] by the OP or Moderator
  • Sponsors (?)

A T5 from the Whitehouse???
It's bought second hand from my dad in 1992 (owner for 23 years) and now me (third owner). And I'm serious, when I'm at 20 mph and I downshift to 1st gear, the rear tires kick like I did a wheel spin or when you power shift on 1st, 2nd, 3rd. Along when downshifting to 2nd and 3rd gear depending on the mph I'm at, I'll kick the tire.

Last edited:
I’d say you may be letting up on that clutch a little too fast…… RPMs shoot up…. Something has to give. Right now it’s the tires……. Eventually, it will be the T-5. Be nice to it!!

Reactions: 1 user
Down shift to 1st gear @ 20mph? Why?
I just roll into the gas @ 20 mph in second and I'm get'n sideways a little with a 3.55 gear! Mostly stock.
So I ask again, why?
I'm not critical just curious, always looking for 'a better way'.

Down shift to 1st gear @ 20mph? Why?
I just roll into the gas @ 20 mph in second and I'm get'n sideways a little with a 3.55 gear! Mostly stock.
So I ask again, why?
I'm not critical just curious, always looking for 'a better way'.
Even when I let out the clutch slowly, it still does it. And I know down shifting to 1st gear at 20 mph is not bad.

It's bought second hand from my dad in 1992 (owner for 23 years) and now me (third owner). And I'm serious, when I'm at 20 mph and I downshift to 1st gear, the rear tires kick like I did a wheel spin or when you power shift on 1st, 2nd, 3rd. Along when downshifting to 2nd and 3rd gear depending on the mph I'm at, I'll kick the tire.
Ok, I read back through this, guess I'm old, wait, I am old :doh: so I may not understand what you mean by 'rear tires kick'.
You youngsters sho do talk funny :O_o:

Did your reading mention the rear-end gear or transmission ratio?

What rev limiter are you referring to? The only one we've got is the fuel cutoff. It's not in play if you're downshifting.

When you do this downshifting, what is the tachometer going up to?

Hmm,.....you may want to go ahead and get another T5 on the shelf in the garage. I'm guessing that you will need it sooner rather than later. The T5 is known to break when abused in certain ways.

• PlusOne
Reactions: 1 users
From my reading, you can downshift into 1st doing around 25-35 mph without overcoming the rev limiter.
If you don't believe me, then one of you guys can come down to Charlotte NC and test it out.
I'm gonna say you should change your reading material. Unless you miss read it, just because you can does not mean you should. There is no reason to shift down into first gear at any time past I'd say five mph. Almost every car I've owned has been a stick so I've row'd a few gears.
I'd hate for you to break a ring or pinion gear, drive shaft, trans, not to mention valve springs and related engine stuff just because a keyboard racer says 'yeah it's ok and fun too'.
Now back to getting those heads installed.
What are you building again? Street, street / strip, auto x or drifting?
Got any pics of the car?

I'm gonna say you should change your reading material. Unless you miss read it, just because you can does not mean you should. There is no reason to shift down into first gear at any time past I'd say five mph. Almost every car I've owned has been a stick so I've row'd a few gears.
I'd hate for you to break a ring or pinion gear, drive shaft, trans, not to mention valve springs and related engine stuff just because a keyboard racer says 'yeah it's ok and fun too'.
Now back to getting those heads installed.
What are you building again? Street, street / strip, auto x or drifting?
Got any pics of the car?
… I already got the information I’ll need to build it from a local.