I need Harmonic Balancer Help

• Sponsors (?)

I have the Professional Products SFI balancer on mine. Good balancer and a good price.

http://secure.50resto.com/product1....ID=cRjTySPOFhCpMDSowC8B&SID=1&Product_ID=1733

Tim

EDIT: From the 50 Resto Site;

What does 28oz/50oz refer to?

1982-93 5.0L engines use 50oz balancers and flywheels because they are "externally balanced" crankshafts. Internally balanced (1981 and older small blocks and ALL 351w) engines use 28oz. Remember; always use the balancer and flywheel combination that corresponds with your year of engine!

actually, let me restate the above post.... would it do more harm (or any) to use the balancer above as opposed to the 2 and 300 dollar ones? once again, i know you get what you pay for, but would the extra money really be worth it for a balancer?

I don't think that a street car would really need a super expensive dampener ($300.00+). The more money spent usually buys you the ability to Rev above and beyond a street motors limits. If you don't plan on spending too much time running down the track then the lesser models will be just fine IMHO.

TrickFlow306 said:
I plan on goin down the track about once maybe twice a month, and shifting at about 6000 rpms... but i wont be doing that on the street or anything.

That's my plan as well. I opted for the stock replacement balancer from Ford Racing....I'd get the Ford Racing stock one over the Summit one...I think it might even be cheaper. They say they're good for engines revving under 6500 rpm. Honestly if I had an engine that I was revving over 6000 rpm then I'd get the more expensive SFI approved ones.....But I just don't think I need it for my engine.

maverick0716 said:
That's my plan as well. I opted for the stock replacement balancer from Ford Racing....I'd get the Ford Racing stock one over the Summit one...I think it might even be cheaper. They say they're good for engines revving under 6500 rpm. Honestly if I had an engine that I was revving over 6000 rpm then I'd get the more expensive SFI approved ones.....But I just don't think I need it for my engine.

you got a link or know where i can see it and the price for it?

View attachment 512716
FMS-M-6316-M50 $75.69
Estimated Ship Date: Tomorrow
Application Show All

Brand: Ford Racing Performance Parts
Product Line: Ford Racing Crankshaft Damper Assemblies
Engine Balance: External
Balance Style: 50 oz. imbalance
Safety Rating: Not SFI-approved
Degree Markings: Yes
Degree Marking Range: 10 BTDC to 32 ATDC
Outside Diameter (in): 6.405
Harmonic Balancer Material: Nodular iron
Harmonic Balancer Construction: Elastomer
Harmonic Balancer Finish: Black painted
Mounting Hardware Included: Yes
Quantity: Sold as a set.
Notes: Set includes timing pointer.

Harmonic Balancer, Mounting Hardware Included, External Balance, Nodular Iron, Ford, Small Block Windsor, Set

Says it comes with everything. :shrug:

You don't need any spacers for it because it's a stock replacement.....exactly the same as the balancer you have now, but new. The kit comes with the balancer and the timing mark pointer. And if you're wondering if balancers wear out they do.....I checked mine the other day as I was ripping apart my engine and the elastomer was all swelled and coming out of place.