I need help!, O2 sensor won't come off

Gears & Crosses

Founding Member
Nov 15, 2001
Southern, Miss.
I need help bad! My passenger side O2 sensor won't come off my 1986 GT 5.0. The drivers side came off with a O2 sensor socket and an impact gun. The passenger side won't budge. I've tried the impact with socket, 1/2" drive with socket. I tried both approaches after with soaking liquid wrench. I tried reversing the impact back and forth too.

I need to know your tricks to getting this off.

Thank you in advance!

Gears

• Sponsors (?)

use some pb blaster its better than liquid wrench you can get it at your local parts store allow to penetrate 10-20 mins with some heat if possible then use your ratchet and o2 sensor socket also use a 2-3 foot long pipe on the end of the ratchet for leverage eat a bowl of wheaties then attempt to remove....goodluck. what type of impact gun are you using?????

Heat it with a torch, then try to get it off. It's probably rusted itself in there pretty good at this point, so that's about the only other option if the penetrating oil isn't working. Anti-seize FTW!

THANKS for the quick replies!

I will try the PB blaster first. Then I will use a torch if needed. You guys used a propane torch?

I'm going to try this tomorrow if I don't called in to work.:(

I'll let you know when I get it free,
Gears

P.S. I am using a Craftsmen impact thats in OK condition. It might be time to upgrade?

What you can also do is use a closed end wrench(7/8ths i believe). Disconnect the plug and slide it through the wrench. This way you can use a hammer on the wrench to get it started.
Kevin

Wow, even more good ideas. I like the closed end wrench idea. My O2 socket was seriously flexing with the 1/2" drive on it.

Hey which auto parts store sells PB blaster - Auto Zone, O'reilly's, Advance? That's the stores I have in my town.

I got called in to work this morning and I think I got a 99% chance of getting called tomorrow. :bang: I'll probably be working on the car Monday.

Thanks again for everyones wisdom! This site rocks- :SNSign:
Gears

Heat the pipe up NOT the O2..I had to heat the pipe/bung up until cherry red and the O2 came right out. While the over-the-counter sprays work well, nothing beats heat.

I think you'll par better with a small bottle of MAP gas rather than Propane..MAP gas burns hotter than propane.

Good luck!

Thank you to all !!!! :nice: :nice: :nice:

I tried the other methods but I had to put the torch on it. It took about 2 minutes with the torch and it was done.

You guys are the nicest on the net!!! :SNSign: :hail2: :hail2: :hail2:

My car is running a lot better. I have more midrange power.

God bless,
Gears