I wanna make my engine run on all 8 on demand

• Sponsors (?)

GM has "Displacement on Demand" with their 5.3L V8. Very neat concept. I wouldn't try it so you don't mess up your engine.

GM had a dyno display at the Detroit Auto Show where they had one of their engines running every 10-15 minutes to show-off "DOD." I believe they're going to put it in the GMC Envoy soon if they haven't already.

There are several cars out now using this technology. Cadillac comes to mind. Seems like engineers were researching this for Ford V8's to in response to the CAFE requirements. But I don't think it is simply a bolt-on kit for something like this. It is in the overall design of the engine.

cadillac had what they called a 4-6-8 engine used in the 80's . It was a 4.0 v8 that would shut off up to half the cylinders when they were not needed. The engine was put in many cars and was a HUGE failure. They had all kinds of problems with it and discountinued it after a few years. Most were converted to work on all 8 cylinders all the time.

Yes GM is retrying it again with the trucks and the cadillac 16 concept car had it also. You can read an article about Displacement on demand here.
http://www.canadiandriver.com/articles/jk/020710.htm

GreyGoose said:
well I was thinking about making my car run on only 4 cylinders and when I need all 8 I would just kind of turn a switch and run on all 8......... is there a kid out there for that and has anyone ever done this before????

have you ever had a car that wasn't running on all its cylinders? the cylinders that don't fire are a drag on rest of the engine. my guess is that if you cut out half the cylinders you'd have the slowest car on the road, and the gas mileage wouldn't be much better (if any).

its a sound concept if the engine was designed with this in mind...

rwb_03gt said:
have you ever had a car that wasn't running on all its cylinders? the cylinders that don't fire are a drag on rest of the engine. my guess is that if you cut out half the cylinders you'd have the slowest car on the road, and the gas mileage wouldn't be much better (if any).

its a sound concept if the engine was designed with this in mind...
The only way to do it would be to hold a valve open and build no compression while injecting no fuel into that cylinder.
Theoreticaly you Could make it work.
1. Figure out a way to disable 1 injector on every stroke.
2. Hold the exhaust valve open slightly to build no compression on the dead cyl.
3. Make your computer understand what is goin on.
4. Figure out a way to toggle the system.
Good luck but as said above it is better left to engineers and cars designed for this.

Yep---from my understanding....GM failed miserably at it...Mercedes accomplished it...bmw has completed designs....mercedes probably accounts for a HEMI that might have it....

too complicated for a mere kit....the computer has to be able to shut off a cylinders in particular orders, in particular patterns...

It's a great idea in my opinion....
especially if u have to sit in heavy traffic for your commute to and from work--where u don't get over 10-20 mph anyway....