i want flames to come out my exhaust

• Sponsors (?)

my dad was telling me that they used to put a coil in back by the exhaust and then put spark plugs in the tail pipes. Then the coil was hooked up to a hot power wire and the ground was hooked up to a switch.

Then when you were driving you would kill the car and give it some gas while cruising and just bump the switch a couple times. he then went on too say there was a couple times where people had melted their exhuast doing this...

But to do this with EFI you would have to add an outside source like an LP tank in the trunk with a sylnoid. I guess thats how they are doing it on these custom cars now a days from what i hear...

You add a second coil and fire it through a switch on a relay. You run a healthy wire (remember the high voltage from a coil!) back to the plugs that are mounted in the tailpipes. When you hit the switch, it sends a constant 'spark' back to the plugs and BOOM f~l~a~m~e~s! Make sure you watch out for the rear vailence, pets, buildings and people who may be behind the car. I have never done this before and wouldn't recommend it - but you asked!!

Hell, the fuel tank is right there... just run an extra line to each pipe, along with an electronically controlled valve... and the coil & spark plugs of course. Then stand back!

J/K... I think this method would probably make you a Darwin Award candidate...

Why in Gods name would you want flames shooting out of your tailpipes? I don't know if you've ever gotten underneath your car and looked right above your tailpipes, but the gas tank is right there. I wouldn't purposely put a sparking device right below the gas tank. That's like smoking a cigarette, while leaning over a car to tune the carburetor.

Plus, the exhaust flames were in the movie "Too Fast, Too Frivolous." Why would anyone want anything out of that movie? Besides the "roots blown" Charger :rolleyes:.

Joe

here is how i figure: i got the spark plug, and coil idea. I know how to do that. What i am basically trying to figure out is how to cut the spark to the engine, while the injectors still pump fuel. That is basically how those kits do it, you rev it up, the hit the button, whice dumps the spark, and the unburnt gas gets burned by the tailpipes! Is there a wire on the coil that i could inturrupt to kill the spark? i def know how to wire stuff up, so that is not a prblem, with relay's etc.

Run a little extra fuel pressure. There's gotta be enough fuel vapor in the pipes to ignite if a good spark was introduced. You don't have cats, and you are running a healthy cat-back ... so there's nothing stopping the fuel vapor if you're running a little rich. Smell the exhaust ... if you smell gas, it'll ignite!

Too bad ya can't just change the jets and make it run richer!!