I want to goto the dragway....will my car survive?

OrangeMustangGt

Founding Member
Mar 7, 2002
Cape Cod, MA
Well, allot of people i know are bringing their cars to the drag way, so naturally i want to go see what my tt setup will run.

However, my dilemma is that the track is 3 hrs away.....AND i have a stock t-5 and a stock rear end. I am more worried about the tranny than everything else.........

So, in your honest opinion, knowing the fact that I'm using 295/35/18 street tires and 3:73's rear gears, do you think my car will survive a few runs down the track?

• Sponsors (?)

Last time I went was when I added my 373s...I was running 18s and was leary myself...Just dont be foolish coming out, like doing a 5k holeshot...:nonono: I was slipping the clutch around 4k and was hooking purdy decent...luckily my cam dont come on til the revs rise abit so it worked out ok..That track can be mucho sticky if its NED??
When you heading up?? I'm about 20 mins away and would like to see that betty in action...If something goes wacky you could always drop it off here if she needs some work...

just granny shift it.. aim for a good MPH not a good time... :)

Last time I went to NED (in my truck) the track was so slick I ran about 1.5 seconds slower than I should have run.... I was running 16.2's when I ran stock at 15.4 and did enough mods for at least .5 seconds... Heck my 60' went form 2.2's to 2.5's and the truck was still spinning into 3rd... it was horrible....

So I think you will be fine as long as you are reasonable....

the other option is to trailer it up, or have a bud with a trailer on call per-se.... the worst part is getting it home if it breaks... your buds can get you home...

So when you going?

yeah, it would be NED....i think im gonna do it......i always granny shift it anyway, so ill be easy on it, plus the turbo is sorta a smooth power hit.

When is the next open drag? My brother also wants to run his stock 95 gts.

p.s. I have a t5 with a stock rear end and beat the crap out of it at the track. I don't powersift or run slicks, but I do drive it pretty hard (if it hooks). Also, if it hooks (which never really happens), I'll run at least 15 psi.

GreenMustangGt said:
When is the next open drag? My brother also wants to run his stock 95 gts.
Depends on what you're looking for. There is street night on Wednesdays and Fridays (I was just there on Wednesday).

If you just want to make runs, it's a bit more expensive, but most Saturdays are "test & tune" and they actually use track prep 'cause the all out drag cars are there, so you might get some decent traction.

New England Dragway Schedule

You could always rent a car trailer and use the Bronco to bring the car to and from the track. That way you have a ride home. . . :shrug:

If you're really that concerned about it.

'Course you won't have the fun of a boosted Mustang for the highway ride.

+1 on being careful on 3rd gear. I broke my t5 (2-3 shift) with street tires and the mods listed below. I didnt like it at the time but it gave me a good reason to get my D&D t56. FFW is comming soon, I plan on getting up there as much as I can before then just to practice my launches. Even with the new trany I wont be powershifting- my rear main seal is sort of leaking....

Does anyone know if I will pass tech with a plug in a rear tire? If not I might just be going there to spectate and possibly rail my ex-girlfriend in Ackinson

I say go for it, just be nice to your trany and you should/could make it back to the Cape. Wed & Fri Nights are not that great, lots of newbies are there and they drag water onto the staging lanes, if its available test & tune is what you want on Sat or Sun-they lay down some solid vht so traction should be there if you slip the clutch enough.
-fawcett

email me if and let me know if you are going, I'll try to make it up there if I can get my new parts on intime!
[email protected]
New additions to the stang:
Sparco Torino 2 seats, belts, brackets
TA Diff. cover