idle prob

bart

May 16, 2003
tn
alright ive read like 10 threads about idle surge, i kinda found some usefull info, but i wanted to make sure its not something else first.

ever since i put in my e-cam, ive had a surge. it only does it at idle. but it doesnt do it everytime. but the longer i have to sit, the better the chance of it doin it. so anyways one of my friends said it was the e cam because they are just hard to find an idle and he said for me to get one of those idle adjustment deals. he said their like 15 bux and worth it. but from what ive read, its a hit or miss situation, its works for some and some not. does my situation sound like its worth gettin one of these deals? ive already cleaned the iab, maf, and tb. checked all vacuum lines, nothing so far. tps is set at .97

its nothing that a major deal for me, its just annoying as ****, and i hate sometimes having to put my foot on the gas while sitting at lights so it wont die...........it did that once and ive been a little gunshy since, so when it does it i give a little gas to keep a constant "idle". sound like i need to go get one? or anything else?

• Sponsors (?)

you didnt find any vac leaks anywhere? i would check your oil to see if coolant got into it. if so, that means your lower intake gaskets were not done right.
also make sure your vac hoses are snug onto the tree and upper mani too.

I have the E cam in mine and had the same problem. First I thought that my TPS was bad so I replaced it and no change and then it was off to clean the MAM sensor, no change. I heard about the IAC air adjuster and that was the fix for me. It's worked great, cheap, and solved my idle problem. Good luck on the problem.

disconnect battery for 20 minutes, dissconnect IAB, reconnect battery and start your car and set the idle with the adj. screw to 900 rpm, turn car off and reconnect the IAB, at the same time check the TPS sensor ( key turned forward, car off ), adjust it to .95, start car up, let idle for 2 minutes with no acessories, turn off for 2 minutes, turn back on with all accessories on for 2 minutes, turn off for 2 minutes. the computer has now just learned the new settings. when i adjusted mine to 900, and then connected my IAB, it reved up to 1100, so i did the whole procedure over and set it to 750, with everything connected ( once again) it idles right around 950... all i can say is sweet, NO MORE STALLING AT A LIGHT, NO MORE SURGE :) letr us know how it turns out. later tom

How the hell did you figure that out Tom?? hehe :D I have cold start problems with my car, doesn't wanna idle unless I unplug the MAF for at least a minute or two.. But that has to do with my chip... Just about everything was stated already about what could cause the idle problem pretty much that is comon.. So just thought i'd say HI :banana: :flag:

well i think it may have something to do with my mass air flow sensor, so i was thinking of gettin just a stock one just for kicks an see what happens, but i also have 24lb injectors and i dont know what it would do... Anyone...

88GTtom said:
disconnect battery for 20 minutes, dissconnect IAB, reconnect battery and start your car and set the idle with the adj. screw to 900 rpm, turn car off and reconnect the IAB, at the same time check the TPS sensor ( key turned forward, car off ), adjust it to .95, start car up, let idle for 2 minutes with no acessories, turn off for 2 minutes, turn back on with all accessories on for 2 minutes, turn off for 2 minutes. the computer has now just learned the new settings. when i adjusted mine to 900, and then connected my IAB, it reved up to 1100, so i did the whole procedure over and set it to 750, with everything connected ( once again) it idles right around 950... all i can say is sweet, NO MORE STALLING AT A LIGHT, NO MORE SURGE :) letr us know how it turns out. later tom

I tried doing this and when i disconnected the IAB/IAC and try to start the car it cranks and then dies.

noslow5_0 said:
well i think it may have something to do with my mass air flow sensor, so i was thinking of gettin just a stock one just for kicks an see what happens, but i also have 24lb injectors and i dont know what it would do... Anyone...
What kind of mass air do you have and did the cold start problem start after the new mass air. I bought a pro-m bullit 75mm mass air and had an immediate cold start problem. I took it back off and no more problem I'm going to send it back to see if it was calibrated right. As far as the 24's working with the stock mass air I don't know. I would also be curious if this combo would work because I am thinking of going to 24's. :nice:

HO93LX302 said:
How the hell did you figure that out Tom?? hehe :D I have cold start problems with my car, doesn't wanna idle unless I unplug the MAF for at least a minute or two.. But that has to do with my chip... Just about everything was stated already about what could cause the idle problem pretty much that is comon.. So just thought i'd say HI :banana: :flag:
I have a p-1sc w/ 9lb boost and 3 core intercooler. Why did you take yours off?

PRO50SC said:
Your base idle may be set too low, reason for stall with iac disconnected. The car should idle w/o it plugged in. :nice:

It idles at 1000 right now with the IAC connected because if i lower it via the set screw to anything less it starts surging. So just try upping the idle way up and see what happens? Can do.

I'm not sure if its normal also but it wont run if you unplug the maf either, it also will not run if you remove the tube between the maf and the throttle body, i'm not sure if thats normal either.

Icepick said:
It idles at 1000 right now with the IAC connected because if i lower it via the set screw to anything less it starts surging. So just try upping the idle way up and see what happens? Can do.

I'm not sure if its normal also but it wont run if you unplug the maf either, it also will not run if you remove the tube between the maf and the throttle body, i'm not sure if thats normal either.
Yea removing the tube will not let it run. Theres no air running thru the mass air for it to do it's job. If the car idles under 1k what will it do. Does it act like it wants to stall. You may be just hidding a problem by raising the idle. Have you checked for vacume leaks and does the car idle smoothly @ 1k or is it still rough but idles because it's set higher. What kid of mass air do you have?

Not sure if this is the same thing that Calypso was talking about or not, but I've heard many people that had idle problems that nothing seemed to fix tried this part, and it fixed it. FMS part#f2pe-9f939-aa it's called an idler air spacer