idler pulley play

chaos254

Founding Member
Jul 27, 2002
NJ
Ok so I bought a new idler pulley from 5.0 resto since my other one was pretty worn. For some reason no matter how tight I make the idler pulley bolt there is still play in the pulley. It's not a huge amount but I know there is not supposed to be any at all. I'm using the stock bolt and I have the spacer(looks like a gear), in there also. Am I missing a washer or something? I'm not sure what could be causing this. Thanks.

• Sponsors (?)

how big should the idler pulley be? maybe they sent me the wrong one.... the pulley I have, measured 3.75" across it. I wish I had kept my old one but I tossed it before I realized there was an issue.

I just checked the wazee pulley site and it says his pulleys have an outside diameter of 3.46".

I'm pretty sure I have a LRS pulley on mine. It's plastic, has a lip on the front and back, and is 3.75" in diameter (from lip-edge to lip-edge, as measured across the
"face" of the pulley).

All I see holding it on is the cone-headed fastener (with a big torx head). I didn't remove it but I dont see a washer underneath it.

For future reference, you can get a replacement pulley right from your local auto parts stores, they're about 20 bucks and no shipping. I bought one for my car right after I bought it and it worked fine.

And I believe there's just one piece/bolt that holds it on. There are no washers, spacers or anything like that. Slide the pulley onto the bracket and thread the bolt on. If you're using any spacers or washers that may be your problem.