If you street race in Virginia you may lose your car if caught!

• Sponsors (?)

IDIOTS "there's not many people on the road then" Well, there are still some innocent people on the roads you could've killed. They deserve to have that guy from the V-Dub commercials smash their cars.

I think many states will take your car for street racing. I'm pretty sure they do in my state.

I've never understood how the state can appropriate private property because it was used unlawfully. It always seemed to me like the most they could do was fine you (even if its up to the amount the car is worth) and revoke your driving privileges. Taking ownership of one's property even though it's used incorrectly doesn't seem like it could/should be legal.

You have a valid point, and in many cases I would agree with you. I have always disliked eminent domain. However, I think that when it comes to street racing the confiscation of property is the harshest deterrent the government has. I don't street race because it is stupid and dangerous. But if I didn't care about that, I would certainly not want to risk having my car taken away.

The exception in this is if somebody borrows your car and it gets confiscated. Although it is your responsibility, in most cases you would not expect somebody you trust to race your car.

Yeah they have been cracking down in Queens and Long Island a lot lately. Mainly because of a bunch of recent deaths due to street racing. There was one with the past week or two, I think it was a civic. He got his gf killed. As a matter of fact a lot of these stories I have seen in the papers always have a civic or some sorta tuner car. Damn ricers, learn how to drive!

I don't blame law enforcement for cracking down at all. I just question the state's assumed "right" to take pocession of something that doesn't belong to them, regardless of the circumstances.

yeah, but they alter the definitian of "street racing" to things like accidently barking a tire in the rain, shifting high/riding out a gear, or just being next to another car, or other stupid things just so they can get a "quota" met. I got pulled over and ticketed for racing because a cop pulled behind me when a camaro was next to me. "preparing to race". F'in young rookie cop, well at least I know that I make twice as much money as him. There is a reason they are paid the way they are.

If you use your vehicle to transport a large amount of drugs they can sieze it. But that is under the assumsion that the car was bought with drug money.

First they start siezing your car, what's next? Hold on to your guns, at this rate, we might be needing them.

Pennsylvania law:

Title 75 Pa.C.S.A. 3367 - Racing on Highways

(a) DEFINITIONS.-- As used in this section the following words and phrases shall have the meanings given to them in this subsection:

"DRAG RACE." The operation of two or more vehicles from a point side by side at accelerating speeds in a competitive attempt to outdistance each other, or the operation of one or more vehicles over a common selected course, from the same point to the same point, for the purpose of comparing the relative speeds or power of acceleration of the vehicle or vehicles within a certain distance or time limit.

"RACE." The use of one or more vehicles in an attempt to outgain, outdistance or prevent another vehicle from passing, to arrive at a given destination ahead of another vehicle or vehicles, or to test the physical stamina or endurance of drivers over long distance driving routes.

(b) GENERAL RULE.-- No person shall drive a vehicle on a highway in any race, speed competition or contest, drag race or acceleration contest, test of physical endurance, exhibition of speed or acceleration, or for the purpose of making a speed record, and no person shall in any manner participate in any such race, competition, contest, test or exhibition.

(c) PERMITS FOR SPECIAL ACTIVITIES.-- The department or local authorities within their jurisdiction may issue permits for special activities which would otherwise be prohibited by this section.

(d) PENALTY.-- Any person violating this section is guilty of a summary offense and shall, upon conviction, be sentenced to pay a fine of $ 200.

dec 20th of 1999 my wife and all four of our kids were killed by a drunk driver. i wasn't in the vehicle with them. needless to say i have my own zero tolerance policy for drunk drivers. i imagine that something similar like that happened in relation to this street racing scenario. if that's not the case then soemone is trying to take a preventative stance. the sad fact is that alot of people have no discipline behind the wheel, and when they try to race ( notice i sad try ) they present a serious hazard to other people. if they are just caught hauling ass up and down the interstate racing, then i say a fine is enough. if they are shown to endanger other people at any point, then fine - take their ride, fine them and throw them in jail for a while. especially these g*****n ricer kids who will sit beside you in traffic, wait til there is a vehicle close to you, then whip between the two vehicles at the last possible second. i see that ***** all the time and it makes me want to strangle them. ignorant stuff like that kills people, and it truthfully makes it nearly impossible to enjoy for those of us who use common sense behind the wheel when we want to get into a quick little drag race. and for me that's how it happens 99% of the time. some person pulls up - you exchange whatever communication, whether it be 'the look', revving your engine, talking - whatever. the light turns green and you hit it. a few seconds later it's all over but the crying. i have seen alot of people trying to race these days and they try to make some kind of damned 'scene' out of the whole thing. those of us who know what we are doing and have some common sense won't really be hurt by laws like that so long as we keep our cool. anyway - just my two cents.

Well... I gotta say that I'm with 90mustangGT on this one even though I understand the concerns from 90lxfoxbody. For a street race 2fast2furious style or something of that sort, I say again.... I could see the need for a huge fine or jail time or whatever. The part of this that gets stuck in my craw is that if we allow the state to procure real property because it has passed some sort of law that says that it sees fit to, then where does that end? As for the gun thing... that's been going on for YEARS! Ask any gun owner in cali***nuts where is pre-ban AR-15 ended up... (drive by bayoneting must be a biznetch in cali). So the state... decided that the combination of a bayonet lug, pistol grip, and shoulder strap, was reason to seize these guns and make them unlawful. Good call.

There is allot of steet racing around me. We arrange it in advance though and drive 20 mins or so out to the country roads run a few races n leave b4 the few people that live out there have the cops coming. But the nearest track to me is 1.5+ hours away and with gas prices and work schedules noone can ever make it there. If they want people to stop racing they need to build a few more tracks.............

1988_gt_mustang said:
There is allot of steet racing around me. We arrange it in advance though and drive 20 mins or so out to the country roads run a few races n leave b4 the few people that live out there have the cops coming. But the nearest track to me is 1.5+ hours away and with gas prices and work schedules noone can ever make it there. If they want people to stop racing they need to build a few more tracks.............

That's the VERY sort of street racing that's got everyone up in arms. Two dudes run down a vacant road that happen to hit 100 mph before giving each other the thumbs up and heading their own separate ways is one thing. A bunch of punk ass kids all gathered together for an "event" is 8 times out of 10, where the trouble begins. Combine 1 - 3 years of total driving experience with lots of HP, the collective combined decrease in common sense and good judgement from a gathering such as this, and add in a good dose of "I ain't no punk sissy while my homies are watchin'!" and you get the reality version of these movies that everyone seems to love so much.

It has nothing to do with eminent domain-taking of private property for public use (a highway) or the good of the general public (razing the Poletown neighborhood in Detroit and building a Cadillac factory to provide jobs). When you use your car in the commission of a crime--bank robbery, drug dealing, soliciting a prostitute, drunk driving, or drag racing, it becomes a public nuisance and the state has a right to abate that nuisance by seizing it and disposing of it. It is the instrumentality of the crime--would you complain about the state confiscating a murder weapon? Laws have 2 purposes: to punish those that commit crimes and to serve as a deterrent to those that would commit them. There are consequences to our actions. It's best to take the racing to the track.

90lxfoxbody-you have my condolences on the tragedy that befell your family.

I think the biggest problem with just taking someone's car for street racing is that it makes the crime less valuable and more valuable to others. Taking people's cars for street racing cuts down on (experienced smart driver) corvette/viper meet-ups. But for kids who still only have to worry about how mad there parents will be if they get caught in their $2,500 hooptie civic it really doesn't help. In a court of law it could be said that even if it is a real detertant, which it is to some extent, it places people in run down/low income parts of the state at a greater risk, the fine for street racing in these areas are naturally less based on the value of the cars seized. Those that live in more upscale parts of the state are now more protected by the laws as the cars in those areas are inheritantly more valuable. I think they should fine/punish everyone the same.

I agree with the prior statement, if people would quit ganging up like a buncha hooligans to race they wouldnt draw so much attention to themselves, once you draw that attention and keep doing it on a regular basis you're just asking for attention from the law enforcement.