If you're thinking about going black, don't think - do it.

Boss 351

Here sthhhhhhhheeeve take a picthh of my man flowe
Jul 13, 2003
Canada
OMG! I started my black interior yesterday, I just have the rear to do. I bought some black dye (Dupli-color). I should have pics today because I plan to finish it after work. I'll do the headliner at a later date, I figure I can put new fabric on there with 3M spray glue (if that doesn't work, I'll get a new black one). I'm going to check out the junk yards for black sun-visors.

The carpet: I put in a black carpet a month ago but it wasn't a molded carpet, what a PITA that was and still isn't very nice to look at up close. I'm going to order a new black molded carpet before the big Mustang show in August.

Anyway the dying was pretty easy, remove as many parts as you can, clean them good with soap and water using a medium brush (to get all the little cracks clean). Then I wiped them with acetone (which will melt the plastic a little and pretty much remove the factory paint or dye). I didn't remove the dash, once you remove all the little parts (glove box, fuse door, cluster, vent piece) there isn't much left to paint. It's as easy as taping up the windshield and paint. I also started with a spare piece of plastic a while ago and if you do it right, the plastic and vinyle won't be easy to scratch.

The door panels turned out freaking great. I used the dye on the fabric but I brushed the fabric between coats so it still feels like fabric. It's like a new car and well worth it. It took about 5 hours to do the whole front end. I figure another 2 hours and it will be complete. I have black racing seats to replace the blue ones until I find affordable black leather '01+ seats. I'll upload pics as soon as I have them... but the point is "do it, do it, do it, do it, do it"...

• Sponsors (?)

Keep in mind, it is not done yet, by any means...

510784_505_full.jpg

510784_506_full.jpg

I made a booboo and used gloss black. It looks like an amor-all bottle exploded in my car. If it bothers me too much I'll put a layer of semi-gloss over it. I have a spare grey interior anyway so it doesn't bother me... pratice makes perfect.

I'll upload pics tonight.

I've heard you can take a green scrub pad and take the armor all look off, and make it more of a real leathery look, but do that at your own risk :D I saw it on one of the hotrod tv shows.

Normally you test on a spare part hahaha well I guess you have to think a little before just doing it. :lol:

I used to like real gloss freshly armor-all'd look on my cars... Now it's iffy, I think 40 grit sandpaper will remove the gloss :D :lol:

hahahaha my friend suggested that I use the "low gloss" armor-all to remove the gloss haha... Let me say, I really like the gloss on the vinyl which looks pretty good, but the plastic parts look funny to me. I am starting to get used to it though. Looks 100x better than my beat up blue interior anyway.