ignition help

enferno

Jun 20, 2006
'66 289, mallory unilite electronic distributor (brand new module), new ignition switch, plugs, wires.

a couple days ago i go to start my car. it starts kinda hard, idles for about 5 seconds, then dies. would not start after that point, so i check for fuel. carb's fine. check for spark, none. check the coil, which is putting out plenty of voltage. so i figure it has to be my dizzy. i got this unilite used, so i don't fully know what condition it's in. i have hear that they fail somewhat easily, so i buy a new module off summit. popped it in today, turned the engine over, and it just barley started to idle, but then it died. no spark once again.

i haven't done any modifications to the wiring, or anything at all, for that matter, since i put in the unilite a few months ago. what could have caused it to fail? and, if it's the case, what caused the brand new module to fail, if it did? how could i check the module if it works or not? could be problem be something other than the dizzy/coil/plugs/wires?

thanks in advance

• Sponsors (?)

I'm guessing your module wasn't bad, so save it. It's nice to have a spare. Don't jump start or charge your car with the distributor plugged in by the way.

Did you put a ballast resistor in by chance? You may/probably don't need it.

Check all your voltages. Try running battery right to distr and see if it runs. Clean your plugs. It doesn't take much for our Fords not to fire.