Ignition Problems...Help

fasttback

Apr 16, 2005
Northern CA
Car was running fine, but I needed to adjust the valves. I decided to use the firing order method to adjust the valves. To turn the motor over I used a remote starter switch. Disconnected the coil wire to prevent fire up and started adjusting valves one cylinder at a time.

Adjustment went fine meeting hot lash specs for the cam. No other adjustment was made to the car. Reassembled and tried to start car. Car turned over with no signs of ignition through many attempts. I pulled a plug wire and spark plug and grounded it to the engine compartment...no spark.

Thinking I did something to the coil (Petronix) I switched it out with my Mallory Pro Master. No change. Next, I figured I did something to the electronic distributor (Mallory Unilite), and switched it out with another I had in the garage. No change. I will go through Mallory's trouble checklist next, but I was hoping someone would know what I screwed up this time.

• Sponsors (?)

Is it possible that either the coil or distributor that you swapped in were bad, too? Definitely go through Mallory's troubleshooting. It's pretty straight forward.

I don't know how adjusting the valves could cause a no-start problem.

Is there a chance your coil wire has a break in it? Or maybe wasn't pushed back on all the way?

Is there a chance your ignition switch is worn? When mine finally wore out, it made the car hard to keep running without jiggling it, but I do recall it starting at least.

Did you remove either of the small wires off the coil initially? I would first check to see if you have power coming into the coil. To do this turn your ignition switch to the run position and check for 12 volts at the small wire on the positive side of the coil. If there is no power or very low power then work backwards from there. You can bypass your solenoid and run a wire direct from your pos side of the battery to this positive post and get it started also. My guess would be its no power into the coil or your coil lead itself got damaged when you pulled it out.

I checked everything mentioned in the previous posts and also visited a Mallory troubleshooting web page. Looks like I spiked the module on the distributor??? Weird thing my second Mallory distributor had the same problem, but no remote starter was used with it. The rest of the wiring (coil, ballast, ground) is the same as it was for years with no problems - so I can't explain how the second one went out?

I was tapping the starter with the solenoid when I was doing something to my car ( I don't remember what at this time), and it blew out my Pertronix module. Instant junk. This was the first generation Pertronix (from 1991 or so, blown out a couple of years ago).

Yea, these electronics unit are very sensitive to just about anything. Before charging, jumping, welding, etc. disconnect the distributor. I'm surprised my first one lasted over 15 years without any problems.

I ordered a new module from Summit on Thurs morning and it arrived on Friday afternoon. Installed it Friday night and the car fired right up! This time I followed Mallory's complete setup and hoped for the best.