Ignition set up

farmboy89

Apr 8, 2007
is it possible or even worth it to use a Ignitor Electronic Ignition (pertronix) with a MSD 6A.

In other words this

6200-C.jpg

With this

1281-C.jpg

any one using this setup? If so how has it worked for you?

Mustangs Unlimited - The Source for Mustang Parts, Shelby Parts, Cougar Parts and Accessories

http://www.mustangsunlimited.com/itemdy00.asp?T1=6200+01

• Sponsors (?)

Her's the setup that's worked for me: Pertronix II, Mallory Promaster coil (points/electronic model), small to large cap adapter and post type cap, Ford Racing 9mm wires, Autolite plugs. Dependable, low cost, two years or more between tune ups reliable to 7500 rpms, cold starts down to 25*F without a choke

I bought a used MSD digital 6 box off of ebay for an excelent price. I got like 100 bux off retail. If you don't mind used ebay is good. So are the national classifieds section of the forums here. There are some other good Ford forums that have legit classifieds as well.

If you want new, I like summit racing. They have competative prices for the most part. Shop around, you will find something.

you can't use the ignitor II with an MSD box, just FYI. the ignitor I should work just fine though. if it were me i'd just get a Duraspark dizzy instead cost should be about the same for just the dizzy as it would for ignitor and it will work better with the MSD box, that's also what i plan to eventually do as well.

also if you feel like wiring in the complete duraspark system Mallory has a box that will work with the complete stock duraspark system that basically just boosts the out output of the stock box. FordMuscle.com did a writeup on it once IIRC.

here it is

Duraspark Upgrade

pretty neat system actually and one i'm also considering for my cougar project.

just get a Duraspark dizzy instead cost should be about the same for just the dizzy as it would for ignitor and it will work better with the MSD box.:nice:

+1 on the dura spark and MSD box. Heck, even the Ford box! All my cougars now have a similar ignition set up. My 69 I went all out on, complete MSD set up. Distributor, wires, coil and 6AL box. Total over kill for a street motor, and rather expensive!

Duraspark dist. and Ford module, under a hundred.

just get a Duraspark dizzy instead cost should be about the same for just the dizzy as it would for ignitor and it will work better with the MSD box.:nice:

+1 on the dura spark and MSD box. Heck, even the Ford box! All my cougars now have a similar ignition set up. My 69 I went all out on, complete MSD set up. Distributor, wires, coil and 6AL box. Total over kill for a street motor, and rather expensive!

Duraspark dist. and Ford module, under a hundred.

i'm kinda liking the mallory system that uses the duraspark box in addittion to the mallory box.

i'll most likely end up running the duraspark dizzy and an MSD box, maybe their new low cost version in the Street Fire line OR this mallory version above once i build the motor up. for now i have one of the Accel points eliminator kits that i got for $40 with free shipping on ebay a while back with an NOS Accel super stock coil that look almost identical to the stock yellow top coil and will look exactly like it once i get done painting it to match the yellow top. it's the same size and the terminals are all in the same place too. more than likely i'll use this coil with the new ignition as well