Im always out of gas

1FatPony

Jun 5, 2005
my gas gage is busted. whenever i fill up it still says empty. do u think it is an electrical problem or do u think the float sunk or something. where can i buy another float? any ideas??? :shrug:

• Sponsors (?)

1FatPony said:
my gas gage is busted. whenever i fill up it still says empty. do u think it is an electrical problem or do u think the float sunk or something. where can i buy another float? any ideas??? :shrug:

I think the float and fuel sender is bought as all one unit. You could also check under the car and see if the wire is still attached to the sender. If it is pull it off and use an meter to check the resistance from the fuel sender pole to the chassis. I dont know what the resistance is supposed to be for empty and full right off the top of my head but that will tell you whats going on with the float.

i got the brass float for my 73 at a ford dealership for like 8 bucks. you might want to check that before you get a whole new unit...i agree with 67coupe351w check the resistance before anything.

1FatPony said:

It's helpful when asking questions like this that we actually know what year make and model you have.

You can get repro float assemblies from any vintage Mustang mail order place for a reasonable price. Don't know if they have 71-73 assemblies, but 70 and older should be no problem.