Im FFFFreezing Help with heater core!

godstangit

Dec 21, 2002
Illinois
Hey everyone I just moved to Alton Illinois just across the river from St. Louis, and the heater core crapped out on me. I was hoping some one could post some directions, or a " how to", link that would maybe show some short cuts so I could r&r this thing?I dont have a garage, yet and gotta do this outside. Yeah I know, sucks to be me. Any help would be appreciated. I miss Fl.:Damnit:

• Sponsors (?)

bill302 said:
what do you mean crapped out on you. is it leaking or just not blowing heat. need more info.
Its leaking, I bypassed it down in FL. I hooked it back up for the heck of it, and she blew so much steam inside the car it looked like a rolling pot party. I was thinking of trying some of the better sealers first to see if that would work, but dont know which one is the best to use,.

if its blowing that bad a sealer won't work a waste of money and you can replace it for about $60.i don't know of any short cuts .it's not difficult to change just a pain removing heater case assembly under dash. get a chilton 1994-1998 mustang repair manual #26608 it instructions are good on heater core replacement. and buy a ford namebrand heater core. heres a link below on a 1990 heater core replacement which talks about cutting the heater box for core replacement maybe we can get someone to respond who knows about this and if it can be done on yours.
http://www.corral.net/forums/archive/index.php/t-10474.html

Yeah I was thinking of going to my local library and checking out the Chiltons book, I was afraid that a sealer treatment might not work cause its leaking pretty bad. My only problem is finding the fasteners that hold up the dash/steering column and knowing where to cut the box, thanks for the links:flag:

bill302 said:
going to the library is a great idea also never depend on any type of sealant it will usually fail on you in the worst places, example:(on the back road taking your wife who's in labor to the hospital.)lol.
Ha Ha, Dude, Id rather freeze then have another kid! Between the wife and I(2nd marriage) we got 8 plus Im already a grandpa.BTW, Checked out your link on cardomain, nice ride,I painted my tailights the same way, looks good against Lazer Red :nice:

stangit@tampa said:
Ha Ha, Dude, Id rather freeze then have another kid! Between the wife and I(2nd marriage) we got 8 plus Im already a grandpa.BTW, Checked out your link on cardomain, nice ride,I painted my tailights the same way, looks good against Lazer Red :nice:

thanks for the good compliment on my ride, where can we see yours. :shrug:

So, I thought that the heater core was either leaking or not leaking, not working or not working? My heater blew flames last winter and it is just enough this winter. What could be wrong with it to make it stop blowing hot? I thought maybe my tstat was going out or something. Not trying to hijack my friend but I was just about to post this question.

A Number Of Things. Thermostat Stuck Open, Blockage In Heater Core Or Heater Core Lines,air In Cooling System Usually Caused On Low Antifreeze (check Coolant Level).heater Lines Kinked.and If I Remember Some More I'll Start Another Thread Or Maybe Someone Else Can Add A Few.

bill302 said:
thanks for the good compliment on my ride, where can we see yours. :shrug:
I'll get around to posting some picks soon, it's Lazer Red, stock pony rims though,she wears a bra to hide some love bug burns on the bumper, Florida has em bad every year. Black interior, leather seats.

I did it without discharging the A/C. Dash pulled out as far as I could without disconnecting too much. Pried open the top of the box, and was able to swap it out.
Took me about 7 hours by myself....
Take your time....
Dennis

cmozez said:
I actually think it is air in the system. I drove for a while with low coolant. I have to add coolant about every 6mos but cannot find any leaks. What is the best way to bleed the system, just a plain ole burp?
I would suggest a pressure test, I replaced the radiator a month ago as it had a very small crack on the upper neck that went undetected, Id just keep filling it up till I got tired of it. As far as getting rid of the air, I just let it warm up till the T-stat opened and replaced whatever it pushed out, drove it, and repeated the process, a real P.I.A. I just did a water pump and timing belt on a 3.5 New Yorker and it had a bleeder screw on the T-stat housing, it made it a breeze.

a50sn95 said:
I did it without discharging the A/C. Dash pulled out as far as I could without disconnecting too much. Pried open the top of the box, and was able to swap it out.
Took me about 7 hours by myself....
Take your time....
Dennis
So the heater core slides out of the top? Not too worried about the AC as I removed almost all AC components except the Evap, while Im in there I'll take that out too, so I might as well pull the entire housing?:shrug:

stangit@tampa said:
So the heater core slides out of the top? Not too worried about the AC as I removed almost all AC components except the Evap, while Im in there I'll take that out too, so I might as well pull the entire housing?:shrug:
You CAN do it that way, although the book says to remove the whole box....