Installed 95-95 Cobra Upper/Lower, 1.7s, & 70mm TB: Driving Impressions

Swarzkopf

Sep 23, 2004
Pittsburgh
Installed 94-95 Cobra Upper/Lower, 1.7s, & 70mm TB: Driving Impressions

I see so many "should I buy a Cobra intake?" threads, I figured I'd post this as feedback.

I just finished installing a 94-95 Cobra intake manifold, Professional Products 70mm Throttle Body, and Crane 1.7:1 roller rockers. My other modifications are listed here: http://5oh.sinnerz.us/

What a difference the manifold, TB, and RRs make!

I lost a little "grunt" between 600-1500 RPMs, but after that, the gain in power is very noticeable. Especially above 4000 RPMs, the car pulls much, much harder now.

Throttle response at idle from a stop is slightly worse, but throttle response anywhere from 1500+ rolling is much improved.

My car is also much louder now. The idle sound is much more pronounced, and though it's still pretty smooth, has a "choppy" sound to it. Overall, it sounds much more aggressive than before.

If you're thinking of adding a Cobra intake manifold and 70mm Throttle Body: Do it. I do not believe that 70mm is too big for a mostly stock 5.0, I actually found that it matches the opening on the manifold perfectly.

Only the Zex kit and the 4.10s made a bigger impact than this latest stuff.

• Sponsors (?)

Just for comparison sake. With my new Ford Racing 65mm throttle-body and trick flow intake, my car takes off like a freakin ROCKET from the start all the way to the red line. No loss of low end but a TON more. I have gone from having to rev to spin - to doing burnouts now if I am not careful. Not only that but the car will burn through first and a good part of second. It really woke the car up. Not sure if we have a totally equal comparison but I thought I would add mine for those looking to buy. The FFord Racing includes new IAC and other electrical thingy so you get new electrical parts with it unlike the others. Correct me if I am wrong.

I notices a lot more low end now though. In my o this would be a great combo for those looking for the low end and top end combo in and auto.

Considering yours is a 5speed car with flat top pistons, ported heads, and a cam, I'd hope you have more low end. ;)

I bought all of my parts used. My PP throttle body came with a new IAC and TPS for $100.

I have heard good things about the Street Heat Intake. I would have bought it if I had found one at the right price, as it turned out, I bought the Cobra for $270/no delivery and was happy with that.

"My PP throttle body came with a new IAC and TPS for $100."

Good move on your part and you did get a steal on that intake. Our setups are different. Mine may have been just waiting for the change in tb and intake, true. Either way, sounds like you are as surprised as I was with the difference in power that these mods can make.

Also, I don't to mislead anyone on my sig. The port matched e7's really aren't that great at all. They are just matched to the intake gaskets and suck compared to any real set of heads. I don't know if they made much of any difference. The "B" cam pull great but from what I am told doesn't give you the low end that you want. Really kicks in at 2500-3000rpm though. I didn't notice my low end responding until the tb and intake and on top of that I got an added bonus of mid-range and upper which is where the b-cam comes in.