Installed JBL GTO speakers - Very nice!

cowtown

Founding Member
Nov 4, 2001
Victoria, BC Canada
Well I finally finished installing some replacement 6x8's into my stang to bump up the stock Shaker 500. I found the Shaker 500's stock sound to be pretty decent, especially for a stock system but even before I had received the car I had found some nice JBL 6x8's on sale at BB and picked them up for a lowly $80cdn/pair.

I'm pretty sure this model is discontinued but if you are looking at speakers and aren't a fan of the really bright Infinity sound I'd recommend these, by and large I've found JBL speakers to be a bit warmer sounding which is what I like personally. The model on these ones is JBL GTO8626.

Rear install was a PITA as always, I ended up using bolts with lock washers and nuts to install and thus far they seem to be staying tight so hopefully no problems going forward there. The fronts I found to be much easier to swap, I don't know that rear deck is just annoying to work on. For the fronts I had to break off the end tabs as well as the two other side tabs that stuck out, but after that it fit into the stock spot perfectly.

My neighbor helped with the last front speaker tonight and even just as I turned it on he's like wow you can notice the difference right away. These guys are a lot clearer and the bass response has improved as well, I can turn down the Bass and Treble settings on the stereo as I'm not needing to compensate as much, they do sound really good.

So +1 here for upgrading the stock "speakers" in the Shaker500 system, not overly time consuming if not a bit annoying here and there, but the results are really good and I can recommend these JBL units as well, not only for their sound, but they fit perfectly in the front and rear without hitting the grilles in either spot!

:)

• Sponsors (?)