installing a new engine

yeska68

May 2, 2002
Oakland ca
what is needed when switching from a 1968 2892v engine to a 5.0 engine out of a 1990 lx. i can get the engine and tranny for a good price but i would like to know what to expect. what else would i need. will i need a new radiator. will the stock suspension be able to handle the difference in weight. does the old power steering hook up to the 5.0 engine or will i have to get a new power sterring system?? will i have to change my rear end???? do i have to install a 5.0 computer to make this work??? radiator???etc....
my car is a 1968 289 2v all stock.

any suggestions or ideas about this would be most helpful

• Sponsors (?)

for the most part, you can bolt this engine in and go...if you are going with a carb intake. If you are going efi, you will need all of the sensors, computer, wiring harness, etc etc. I dont think you need another radiator, but if you run a serpentine belt, you will need a different lower radiator hose. Depending on your induction..carb or EFI, you may need a new distributor. Your rearend will be just fine, along with your suspension. As for power steering....I dunno about that one. If you ran your old pulley system and brackets, it should work.