installing exhaust

lmpbzkt492

Apr 13, 2003
I'm looking to buy a catback for my stock 91 GT, most likely the flowmaster American thunder, and maybe even an offroad h-pipe. I was just wondering how difficult it would be to do it myself at home and how long it would take. Also, if i decided to bring it to a place to get it put on, how much would this install usually go for??

• Sponsors (?)

The cat back is easy. Its pretty much common sense. Cut off the old mufflers/pipes and then bolt up the new ones. The h-pipe is also easy but can pretty tricky depending on which brand you go with. Some h-pipes don't like to fit good. Stay away from MAC. I went with BBK and am very pleased with it. Mine had perfect fit and I installed it myself in about 45 min which included removing the stock h-pipe.

both jobs are relatively easy. I put the H-pipe on with no real problems ( I bought MAC and would again). When I got my Cat back system I had no place to put them on so I had a local shop do it for like 40 bucks and about 30 mins work.

Also when I put in the H-pipe headers went in with them so maybe that made things easier.

I have used MAC, BBK and pacesetter pff road pipes and they all pretty much fit the same. The worst part for me is getting the new pipe to fit up in the hangers by the tranny. I have found that pulling the tranny mount bolts putting the hanget bracket on the pipe then sliding it back in is easier than wresteling with it. I always stick the air tube in a vice, crimp the end flat then run a weld across the end for good measure but I remove the air pump at the same time. If you are keeping the pump, skit this step. The cat-back portion is simple. The worst part is getting the old tailpipes off. A sawzall makes short work of it though. If you are using full tails on the new exhaust (and you klit is not a MAC) it is easier to get the car pretty high up on jack stands with the rear hanging free to wiggle the pipes up in there.

As for paying someone to do it....I personally wouldn't but thats your call. Most shops wont install off-road pipes and thats the worst part so its kind of pointless.