Instrument panel

Stinkoman

Sep 28, 2009
Marlton NJ
Hey, I just got a '78 II last week and it appears that the only thing on my instrument panel working is the odometer. Can anyone tell me where I can get a new (or used but working) one? or the Part number?
Sincerely,
Sean

• Sponsors (?)

Odometer works but speedometer doesn't?

:scratch:

Far as the rest of the cluster, probably wiring. The cluster could have been removed but not plugged back in, or the plug could have worked loose, or the grounds could be faulty, ...

In my experience I have never had the entire electricals on a cluster fail. Parts of the cluster, Yes , but never the whole thing.

Getting an entire cluster may not do you any good.

yeah, the casing around the speedometer casing is broken so i assume some gears aren't lined up. I checked the Fuse and it's good. The circuit on the back is also in really bad condition, but still seems to conduct properly. I'd guess it might be the wiring to the panel, not the connection, but either way I need a new panel.

The factory plastic cluster housing is well known for crumbling away after 30 years. Once it starts to go,its harder to keep the circuit in contact with the lights and guages that it feeds. Check with the Mustang II parts guys and on eBay to see if they have a good used one. I am not aware of a new cluster being availble. Out of my 3 (past and present) MII's, I had one cluster housing that is still good, so it may be a batch problem from Ford's suppliers.

We've had a few guys buy individual aftermarket racing gauges and mount them directly to the dash. This will run you $200 to $400 depending on which gauges you decide on. This requires a bit of wiring and plumbing, but will end up being more accurate than the factory gauges, and probably more dependable too.

Here are a couple of the MII parts guys that I know of:

Mustang II Specialty Shop
Mustang II Network - Mustang II Specialty Shop Main Page
90 Glennhaven Road
Phenix City, AL 36869

Ph# (334)298-3038
2# (334)298-0876
E-Mail [email protected]

Second Generation Mustang
Mustang II Network - Second Generation Mustang
279 Bareview Drive
P.O. Box 429